* FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-10  2:59 Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2017-09-10  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

All,

The intma.in link for the rpi image is dead on the fqa page.

Is there a new site that this would be hosted on?

Cheers,
Sean

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-10  3:04 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2017-09-10  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 09:59:21PM -0500, Sean Hinchee wrote:
> All,
>
> The intma.in link for the rpi image is dead on the fqa page.
>
> Is there a new site that this would be hosted on?
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

I pushed a change to the fqa source, but the link is:
http://sciops.net/downloads/9front-pi-3125.9fcca5b8ac11.img.bz2

use curl or wget or something because I'm too lazy to fix the mimetypes
in my webshit

khm

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-10  5:24   ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2017-09-10  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Many thanks Kurt

On 09/09/2017 10:04 PM, Kurt H Maier wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 09:59:21PM -0500, Sean Hinchee wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> The intma.in link for the rpi image is dead on the fqa page.
>>
>> Is there a new site that this would be hosted on?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>
> I pushed a change to the fqa source, but the link is:
> http://sciops.net/downloads/9front-pi-3125.9fcca5b8ac11.img.bz2
>
> use curl or wget or something because I'm too lazy to fix the mimetypes
> in my webshit
>
> khm

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-11 23:12   ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-09-11 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Sep 9, 2017, at 8:04 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
>
> I pushed a change to the fqa source, but the link is:
> http://sciops.net/downloads/9front-pi-3125.9fcca5b8ac11.img.bz2

So what hardware is this supposed to run on?  I've tried it on my entire collection of Pi 2's and 3's, and all I get is a second or two of the green LED, after which it (LED) fades to black.  Not even an init on the HDMI screen.  The same hardware boots stock 9labs Richard kernels, so the hardware's good.  Is there some piece of "Doh!" I'm missing???

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-11 23:28     ` Chris McGee
From: Chris McGee @ 2017-09-11 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I believe that image only works on the Pi 1 models.

I was working on porting Richard's latest code to 9front code base with some success. I can point to a source code repository if there is interest.

Chris

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 7:12 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 9, 2017, at 8:04 PM, Kurt H Maier <khm@sciops.net> wrote:
>>
>> I pushed a change to the fqa source, but the link is:
>> http://sciops.net/downloads/9front-pi-3125.9fcca5b8ac11.img.bz2
>
> So what hardware is this supposed to run on?  I've tried it on my entire collection of Pi 2's and 3's, and all I get is a second or two of the green LED, after which it (LED) fades to black.  Not even an init on the HDMI screen.  The same hardware boots stock 9labs Richard kernels, so the hardware's good.  Is there some piece of "Doh!" I'm missing???

.

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-11 23:37       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-09-11 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Sep 11, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Chris McGee <sirnewton_01@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> I believe that image only works on the Pi 1 models.

Turns out I have one of those as well.  It just never occurred to me to try that one out :-)

> I was working on porting Richard's latest code to 9front code base with some success. I can point to a source code repository if there is interest.

I'd like to keep an eye on this, and possibly help out.

Thanks!

--lyndon

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-12  7:56         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2017-09-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Please save everybody's time and trash all gen1 models to avoid
wasting time trying to debug software because of actual *hardware
issues*: The power on these boards is too flaky.

I heard (didn't test) newer generations don't have that issue. IMO all
rpi are still a waste of time because a "network operating system"
deserves real ethernet, not just USB.

Perhaps you might think they will be more useful as a terminal, but I
heard the graphics are too laggy even for that.

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-12 20:51           ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2017-09-12 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Perhaps you might think they will be more useful as a terminal, but I
> heard the graphics are too laggy even for that.

I'm using Pi2s as terminals (running the labs distribution) and they work
just fine.  The graphics are snappy enough for my needs (which is mostly
running acme).

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-12 21:32             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-09-12 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I have a Pi3 is my desktop at work, which runs mutant Labs/Richard Miller/9front code.

very, very solid and really quite snappy.

Graphics are very good, compilations feel a little slow but perfectly usable.
Only rdesktop to windows (for chrome) is slow but I guess this is more networking
than anything else.

fwiw I use a couple of usb serial adapters and a second ether interface (Thanks to
Richard) on the Pi.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-13  7:38               ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2017-09-13  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> more networking than anything else
what do you mean with networking?

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-13  9:39                 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2017-09-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

First I would say rdesktop is perfectly usable on the pi, but scrolling pages
on a chrome results in rather obvious page redraws.

I believe the reason rdesktop is a bit slow from my pi to my windows laptop
(both on wired to trhe same switch) is the pi's 100BaseT NIC and
the fact that the Pi's NIC is effectively USB attached.

I have no proof of this, but that is my educated guess given that plan9
generated graphics seem quick on the Pi3.

If anyone can improve the performance of rdesktop on the pi by software means
I would be most interested but I think the limitation is hardware.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] FQA Appendix J
@ 2017-09-13  9:42                   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2017-09-13  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

so in the same network from a non-pi device you get faster rdesktop
performance to the windows laptop?