* QEMU and sysupdate
@ 2015-02-09 11:19 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi, I have a running 9front on qemu (windows), but I've a few questions:

1) sysupdate can't update the system, because of networking issues,
mothra can't browse the web too). I'm using user networking, as
described in https://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/fqa3#3.3.1_-_Qemu
Any suggestions?

2) while fshalt -r reboots, scram does not shutdown the virtual machine

What's going wrong?

Giacomo

* Re: [9front] QEMU and sysupdate
@ 2015-02-09 14:56 ` mischief
From: mischief @ 2015-02-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front, Giacomo Tesio

Please specify what qemu version you are using, what options you used, and what version of the 9front code you are using, and what the content of plan9.ini is.

@ 2015-02-09 14:56 ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-02-09 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoting Giacomo Tesio <giacomo@tesio.it>:

> 1) sysupdate can't update the system, because of networking issues,
> mothra can't browse the web too). I'm using user networking, as
> described in https://code.google.com/p/plan9front/wiki/fqa3#3.3.1_-_Qemu
> Any suggestions?

Fix the networking issues.

> 2) while fshalt -r reboots, scram does not shutdown the virtual machine
>
> What's going wrong?

This is a known problem; there's some kind of weirdness in certain QEMU
versions.  The symptom is that ACPI reboot directives are ignored.
mischief worked pretty hard to fix it a while back, and it doesn't seem
to affect newer versions of QEMU on linux.  If you turn up a solution
I'd be delighted to hear it!

khm

* Re: [9front] QEMU and sysupdate
@ 2015-02-10  8:07   ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-10  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Sorry... you are right... following are the missing info:

> Please specify what qemu version you are using,

QEMU 2.2.50 for windows

> what options you used,

qemu-system-x86_64.exe -m 1024 -redir tcp:9999::9999 -net
nic,model=virtio,macaddr=52:54:00:00:EE:03 -net user -device
virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsi -drive if=none,id=vd0,file=9front.qcow2.img
-device scsi-hd,drive=vd0

> and what version of the 9front code you are using,

ehm... good question... the iso was downloaded on Jan 13,  2015, but I
can't figure out an equivalent for "uname -a" to properly answer your
question

> and what the content of plan9.ini is.

bootfile=9pcf
nobootprompt=local!/dev/sd00/fs -m 192
mouseport=ps2intellimouse
monitor=vesa
vgasize=1024x768x16
user=glenda

Note that I can actually connect to the 9front guest from the host,
and I can reach the host's http server via mothra, but I can't go out.
I've tried to set httpproxy environment variable (a squid proxy
running on the host), but with no success.

@ 2015-02-10  9:51     ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-10  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

In case anybody hit this same issue, I managed to fix the networking
issue following the guide from plan9

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Plan9_on_Qemu_on_Windows/index.html

In particular I had to
- install OpenVPN,
- rename the TAP-Windows Adapter to TAP_OpenVPN (in Control
Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections)
- create a bridged network (select the actual network interface,
interface AND the TAP_OpenVPN interface, right click, Bridge)
- start Qemu with " -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net tap,ifname=TAP_OpenVPN "
- on 9front terminal type "ip/ipconfig" and hit enter

Finally sysupdate worked as expected.

Giacomo