* passwd protocol botch
@ 2015-02-26  8:37 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi, I'm tring to change glenda's password with passwd but I keep
obtainig this criptic error:

> passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't traslate address: dns: resource does not exist; negrcode

I'm tring to get a single cpu server with auth+fs so that I can
connect to it with drawterm.

I'm actually able to connect to it via drawterm but with two issues:
- I can access as glenda without a password
- after boot an rc running as glenda is automatically provided without
any request for login.

This is obviously unsafe.

This is the content of plan9.ini:

bootfile=9pcf
nobootprompt=local!/dev/sd00/fs -m 192
mouseport=ps2intellimouse
monitor=vesa
service=cpu
*acpi=

Maybe I missed something in the process to turn a terminal into a cpu
server, but I can't find what.

Giacomo

* Re: passwd protocol botch
@ 2015-02-27 23:01 ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-27 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

I'm trying hard to solve this issues by myself, but with no success.

I used the fqa7 path, with hjfs but
- the system still automatically start an rc as glenda
- I can't passwd with success (despite the password complexity)
- despite auth/changeuser I can't auth/login

Should I follow this guide instead
 Configuring a Standalone CPU Server (Plan 9 wiki) - Bell Labs ?

Giacomo

> Hi, I'm tring to change glenda's password with passwd but I keep
> obtainig this criptic error:
>
>> passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't traslate address: dns: resource does not exist; negrcode
>
> I'm tring to get a single cpu server with auth+fs so that I can
> connect to it with drawterm.
>
> I'm actually able to connect to it via drawterm but with two issues:
> - I can access as glenda without a password
> - after boot an rc running as glenda is automatically provided without
> any request for login.
>
> This is obviously unsafe.
>
> This is the content of plan9.ini:
>
> bootfile=9pcf
> nobootprompt=local!/dev/sd00/fs -m 192
> mouseport=ps2intellimouse
> monitor=vesa
> service=cpu
> *acpi=
>
> Maybe I missed something in the process to turn a terminal into a cpu
> server, but I can't find what.
>

> Giacomo

* Re: passwd protocol botch
@ 2015-02-28  0:28   ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-28  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

After reinstalling with cwfs64x I still can't drawterm to the machine.

If I enable authentication, the boot keep asking for bootargs.

If I disable authentication, boot produce an rc for glenda (in
console, no rio, since I set service=cpu in plan9.ini), but when I try
to drawterm to the machine I obtain

> ?password mismatch with auth server

and a line is logged on the authserver:

> cpu: srvauth: auth_proxy short read

I've configure nvram (auth/wrkey) and /lib/ndb/local.

If I run

> auth/changeuser -n glenda

or

> auth/changeuser -n giacomo

I get an error about forbidden accounts.

With -p auth/changeusers works, but I can't authenticate with drawterm.

Giacomo

> I'm trying hard to solve this issues by myself, but with no success.
>
> I used the fqa7 path, with hjfs but
> - the system still automatically start an rc as glenda
> - I can't passwd with success (despite the password complexity)
> - despite auth/changeuser I can't auth/login
>
> Should I follow this guide instead
>  Configuring a Standalone CPU Server (Plan 9 wiki) - Bell Labs ?
>

> Giacomo

>> Hi, I'm tring to change glenda's password with passwd but I keep
>> obtainig this criptic error:
>>
>>> passwd: protocol botch: cs: can't traslate address: dns: resource does not exist; negrcode
>>
>> I'm tring to get a single cpu server with auth+fs so that I can
>> connect to it with drawterm.
>>
>> I'm actually able to connect to it via drawterm but with two issues:
>> - I can access as glenda without a password
>> - after boot an rc running as glenda is automatically provided without
>> any request for login.
>>
>> This is obviously unsafe.
>>
>> This is the content of plan9.ini:
>>
>> bootfile=9pcf
>> nobootprompt=local!/dev/sd00/fs -m 192
>> mouseport=ps2intellimouse
>> monitor=vesa
>> service=cpu
>> *acpi=
>>
>> Maybe I missed something in the process to turn a terminal into a cpu
>> server, but I can't find what.
>>

>> Giacomo

* Re: passwd protocol botch
@ 2015-02-28 22:39     ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2015-02-28 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

In case anybody else hit this wall, I fixed the problem with these steps:
- install dnsmasq in the dom0 (9front is running as an hvm guest),
- add to its /etc/hosts two entries pointing to the ip of the 9front
guest: a host.9front and a p9auth.9front
- stop restart dnsmasq
- configure /lib/ndb/local according, with authdom 9front, dns
pointing to te dom0.

This way I can access the 9front install with drawterm, as either
glenda or another user, always with the proper password.

I still have an rc running under glenda at the console, but I can't
find a way to make it ask for a password instead.

Giacomo