* ubiquitous environment
@ 2016-07-11 16:43 Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2016-07-11 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hello, everyone,

this is what I sent to the 9fans forum, but that forum
has been nonoperational for some time. So I decided to ask
here instead...:

I read the following some time ago and now got back to it.
It's from an interview with Russ Cox.
https://usesthis.com/interviews/russ.cox/

--------------
The thing I miss most about Plan 9 was the way that no matter which
computer you sat down at, you had the same environment. Because we
were working off a shared file server - there were no local disks on
the Plan 9 workstations - you could go home and log in and all your
work was there waiting. Of course, it only worked because we had good,
fast connectivity to the file server, and only file state - not
application state - transferred, but it was still a huge win.

Today it's taken for granted that everyone has local files on disk and
you need programs like Unison or Dropbox (or for the power users,
Mercurial or Git) to synchronize them, but what we had in Plan 9 was
completely effortless, and my dream is to return to that kind of
environment. I want to be working on my home desktop, realize what
time it is, run out the door to catch my train, open my laptop on the
train, continue right where I left off, close the laptop, hop off the
train, sit down at work, and have all my state sitting there on the
monitor on my desk, all without even thinking about it.

Has anyone tried a setup like that? -- Having a server at work and
working on it even from home/anywhere? And how is it set up? Does it mean
that wherever you sit you somehow mount the window system to get
to the exactly same state that you left the machine in?
(Ie. something like a screen/tmux but supplied by the system itself?)

Thanks for any comments!

Ruda

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-07-11 16:43 UTC | newest]