From: thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com
To: 9front@9front.org
Subject: Re: [9front] sshfs
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:49:14 -0700	[thread overview]

I did experiment FYI. I wasted an hour or more because I assumed you needed a colon
after the IP or domain name. That one mistake really makes things confusing.

When I removed the colon and included -r and -m it seemed I was getting further away.

Again you showed very clear concrete examples. Those examples are nowhere in the man
page. The manpage is confusing and I stand by my intial statements.

Your examples show -m and -r

When I used them on the same line I still had errors.

The man page shows a bunch of other flags which is the first step to making things
confusing. -abdRUGM

[ -- ssh-options ] [user@host | -c cmdline | -p

Normally that would be the best example and yet again I went down the wrong
direction.

Sorry for the disturbance

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4183 bytes --]

From: Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>
To: 9front@9front.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:21:41 -0700

thinktankworkspaces@gmail.com once said:
> Right the manpages kind of poorly writen. Should have an example usage.
> The flags should be listed similar to item of a list rather than hunt
> them down.
>
> It really starts out confusing.

No, the man page is clear. It might serve you well to cultivate
a habit of experimenting before sending an email out to dozens
of people.

Start with something simple:

% sshfs user@host
% ls /n/ssh

If you want the remote tree mounted elsewhere in your
namespace:

% sshfs -m /some/other/path user@host
% ls /some/other/path

If you want to mount a remote tree other than the remote
user's home directory:

% sshfs -r /remote/tree user@host
% ls /n/ssh

Cheers,