* [9front] 9front on PowerMac
@ 2020-12-17 19:31 shepard47
From: shepard47 @ 2020-12-17 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hi,
I have an iMac G5 and my plan is to run Plan 9 on it.
Has anyone done this before and how is it possible?
shepard

* Re: [9front] 9front on PowerMac
@ 2020-12-17 21:40 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2020-12-17 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i dont know of any port.

i also think the hardware of the ppc macs is not well documented, which would make a port very hard.

if this is your first experiment with plan9 i would reccomend you start with an x86 pc, or a raspberry pi. these are the best supported platforms at the moment.

these are my opinions of course, others may disagree.

-Steve

* Re: [9front] 9front on PowerMac
@ 2020-12-17 22:03   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2020-12-17 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

David Arnold
0487 183 494
> On 18 Dec 2020, at 08:41, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>
> i dont know of any port.
>
> i also think the hardware of the ppc macs is not well documented, which would make a port very hard.

There are two different PPC Macintosh architectures from Apple: the initial systems were NuBus-based, while later models adopted the PCI bus. Associated with that change was a general adoption of the “PC” architecture, eg. switching from SCSI discs to IDE.

There are open source operating systems for both architectures available should you need example code.

* Re: [9front] 9front on PowerMac
@ 2020-12-18 12:21     ` shepard47
From: shepard47 @ 2020-12-18 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Thank you. I have linux running on the machine.
On what PowerPC hardware does 9front work?