* [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08  5:43 smj
From: smj @ 2022-08-08  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Would anyone participating in the hack-a-thon in Malaga Spain like
to share with the list a summary of the day and some highlights?

It might be a lot of fun for us wishing we were there.

Thanks and have fun!

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 10:15 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-08-08 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

done or fixed:
1) kubernetes/docker (worker's unions should not allow this shit.
stand up and fight for your rights please)
2) raid5hole (/dev/fs could be a library used by storage fileservers
for redundancy layer)
3) barbecue
4) qwx fixed brightness on x250 (igfx)
5) qwx fixed hardware cursors on x250 and x61t (igfx)
6) qwx fixed external monitors on x250

ongoing brainstorming:
-mountable namespace-file or /srv namespaces or exportfs in kernel
-aap wants programs to read/interact with the text that is in
hold-mode, moody also needs tentative input into rio into ktrans
-k0ga is rewriting history in rc!
-procs are going on a diet so that ori can fork a ton of them.

cooling fluid levels:
-1 pool, mostly still filled
-90/150liters of beer

other improvements:
-hotfix: bamboo roof for thinkpad-station has been built
-walls are being painted rio-grey by contractors
-mostly homeopathy and good intentions

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 12:43   ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2022-08-08 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> -procs are going on a diet so that ori can fork a ton of them.

What is he moving out of struct Proc? An additional indirection
for infrequently used fields or the error buffers and maybe moving
to bit-flags for some of the ints used as booleans? Ori, show us
your portdat.h. ☺

> -90/150liters of beer

What's a good Spanish beer for a fan of kölsch?

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 13:25     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-08-08 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

no clue.
k0ga didn't dare get spanish beer, it's pils and not kölsch :(

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 14:05     ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-08-08 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth Anthony Martin <ality@pbrane.org>:

> What is he moving out of struct Proc? An additional indirection
> for infrequently used fields or the error buffers and maybe moving
> to bit-flags for some of the ints used as booleans? Ori, show us
> your portdat.h. ☺

Current status is just understanding what data structures need to
change to allow runtime growth; there are a bunch of rarely used
buffers like error state that can be moved out, but I'm less worried
about sizeof(Proc) than removing direct indexes to proctab.

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 19:55   ` qwx
From: qwx @ 2022-08-08 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Greetings from Malaga,

Aug 8, 2022 12:15:48 hiro <23hiro@gmail.com>:

> done or fixed:
[...]
> 4) qwx fixed brightness on x250 (igfx)
> 5) qwx fixed hardware cursors on x250 and x61t (igfx)
> 6) qwx fixed external monitors on x250

Wtf hiro, I said I'm working on fixing 5) and 6), not that
I've fixed them already m(  You took 'rewriting history'
too literally, the docker/kubernetes fumes are getting to
your head...

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-08 20:07     ` Marshall Conover
From: Marshall Conover @ 2022-08-08 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Aight ya got me, what's all this docker/k8s stuff about? I'm enough of
a scab to work on it regularly, so if it's infected 9front I'm
interested in crossing the picket line

@ 2022-08-09  9:15       ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-08-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

thankfully all this dockershit isn't portable, so no worries.
we're just mobbing people for their dayjobs.

@ 2022-08-11 12:15       ` Anthony Martin
From: Anthony Martin @ 2022-08-11 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

ori@eigenstate.org once said:
> Current status is just understanding what data structures need to
> change to allow runtime growth; there are a bunch of rarely used
> buffers like error state that can be moved out, but I'm less worried
> about sizeof(Proc) than removing direct indexes to proctab.

I thought the ps interface from 9k/nix/9exp was pretty good.
It would let you play around with different process allocation
schemes without churn in port/^(devproc.c edf.c proc.c) etc.

https://bitbucket.org/forsyth/plan9-9exp/src/master/sys/src/9exp/port/ps.c

Cheers,
  Anthony

* Re: [9front] hack-a-thon daily proceedings summaries
@ 2022-08-11 14:37         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2022-08-11 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

two more emergency beer cans have been delivered so finally can 4/5 is
attached and beer is flowing according to spec.

we had barbecue 2 times now, loads of chorizo, other sausages, bugers,
chicken, beef, pork, onions, paprika, etc.
we baked 24 eggplants in the coal and served with 5 big garlic, 10
lemons, onions
today we got delivered some garlic soup, sardines, and that spanish yellow rice
got some watermelons
all local from spain, apart form the beer, that was all german.

some crap realtek driver got massaged by cinap and ori

ktrans is now towed inside the environment.

ori put the stack in front of the proc (the carriage before the horse).

ori understood how to write timers.

cinap deleted 5 instructions from amd64 and sgi, commit follows soon

@ 2022-08-16 21:17 ` ori
From: ori @ 2022-08-16 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Quoth smj@9p.sdf.org:
> Would anyone participating in the hack-a-thon in Malaga Spain like
> to share with the list a summary of the day and some highlights?
>
> It might be a lot of fun for us wishing we were there.
>
> Thanks and have fun!

Overall, a ton of good hacking, drinking, and ideas flowing.
I had a geat time, and we'll be planning another one at some
point in the not too distant future.

In short: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk