* change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21  8:34 neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Hiho

I try to search, at which place I can change my keyboard layout into
"qwerz", also known as "german latin" layout.
I find /cgf/plan9.ini but this is for booting from CD I guess.

THX
Juergen

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21  9:02 ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-21  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Hiho
>
> I try to search, at which place I can change my keyboard layout into
> "qwerz", also known as "german latin" layout.
> I find /cgf/plan9.ini but this is for booting from CD I guess.
>
> THX
> Juergen

"cp /sys/lib/kbmap/de /dev/kbmap" changes to german layout.
To run it on bootup add it to /cfg/$sysname/termrc.

% mkdir -p /cfg/$sysname
% echo cp /sys/lib/kbmap/de /dev/kbmap > /cfg/$sysname/termrc

aiju

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21  9:29   ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> "cp /sys/lib/kbmap/de /dev/kbmap" changes to german layout.
> To run it on bootup add it to /cfg/$sysname/termrc.

YEAH! This is, what 9/plan/front means with "Everything is a file".
Absolutely elegant!
I search for a command like "find" in Linux, so I can search for
files.

THX aiju
Juergen

> % mkdir -p /cfg/$sysname
> % echo cp /sys/lib/kbmap/de /dev/kbmap > /cfg/$sysname/termrc
>
> aiju

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21  9:59     ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-21  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> YEAH! This is, what 9/plan/front means with "Everything is a file".
> Absolutely elegant!
> I search for a command like "find" in Linux, so I can search for
> files.

There is no real equivalent of find.
du -a + sed/awk/grep is commonly used for the task (yes, it's a bit
cumbersome).

aiju

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21 11:28       ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Ah..yes.
Okay, is not so heavy... I want to create a find.sh
___________________________
#!/bin/sh

du -a | grep $1
___________________________

in the /bin directory. But I got an error "mounted directory forbid a
creation"
But in /root/usr/glenda/bin I'm able to create files... is this
directory not mounted?
If, how can I create, if it is not mounted?

many questions...
another:

is /root/usr/glenda the home directory of glenda?
Because a "cd ~" is not yet implemented
>>>_________>>> What have they done since 1987? "Waiting for chrismas?" ;-)
Joke...

9front seems be very interesting to me
:)

THX
Juergen

On 21 Jul., 11:59, Julius Schmidt <a...@phicode.de> wrote:
> > YEAH! This is, what 9/plan/front means with "Everything is a file".
> > Absolutely elegant!
> > I search for a command like "find" in Linux, so I can search for
> > files.
>
> There is no real equivalent of find.
> du -a + sed/awk/grep is commonly used for the task (yes, it's a bit
> cumbersome).
>
> aiju

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21 11:50         ` Julius Schmidt
From: Julius Schmidt @ 2011-07-21 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> Ah..yes.
> Okay, is not so heavy... I want to create a find.sh
> ___________________________
> #!/bin/sh
>
> du -a | grep $1
> ___________________________
>
> in the /bin directory. But I got an error "mounted directory forbid a
> creation"
The /bin directory is a union mount of (on the PC) /386/bin, /rc/bin,
/usr/$user/386/bin and /usr/$user/386/rc.
Shell scripts go into /rc/bin.
Also, our shell is called /bin/rc, not /bin/sh.

> But in /root/usr/glenda/bin I'm able to create files... is this
> directory not mounted?
You don't need /root, just /usr/glenda/bin, but again, it's
/usr/glenda/bin/rc for shellscripts.

/root is not normally used.

Really, read the paper.

> is /root/usr/glenda the home directory of glenda?
/usr/glenda is.

> Because a "cd ~" is not yet implemented
Just "cd" works if you mean to change to your homedirectory.
The Plan 9 shell does not recognize ~ as an alias for your homedir.
Use $home.

aiju

* Re: change keyboard layout
@ 2011-07-21 12:07           ` neo67
From: neo67 @ 2011-07-21 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> The /bin directory is a union mount of (on the PC) /386/bin, /rc/bin,
> /usr/$user/386/bin and /usr/$user/386/rc.
> Shell scripts go into /rc/bin.
> Also, our shell is called /bin/rc, not /bin/sh.
Okay, I find some *.sh files with "/bin/sh"... therefore I try sh...

> You don't need /root, just /usr/glenda/bin, but again, it's
> /usr/glenda/bin/rc for shellscripts.

> > is /root/usr/glenda the home directory of glenda?
>
> /usr/glenda is.
ok

> > Because a "cd ~" is not yet implemented
>
> Just "cd" works if you mean to change to your homedirectory.
> The Plan 9 shell does not recognize ~ as an alias for your homedir.
> Use $home.

THX again
Juergen