* So long, and thanks for all the code!
@ 2017-03-02 18:25 Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2017-03-02 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

So long, and thanks for all the code!
So sad that it should come to this.
I thought that most of you were witty,
especially Julius and Kurt H. Maier!

For several years I've used 9front to organize my life and everything in it. I had a subrio or an acme with its own plumber for class of activities: an acme for appointments and necessities of life; an acme for chat logs and a quotes file; a subrio for games with acmes for different games; a subrio for programming with an acme and sometimes another window for each project; etc.

On the other hand, I'm finding that maintaining my computers is really too much for me because of my fatigue and concentration issues. Tasks which other people a few hours can take me several days, and my fatigue problems are so bad that my daily life continues to be affected for some days after I stop. Perhaps because I work so hard at it, my nerves and stomach can also be affected, as has happened in the last week.

As if that weren't enough reason to stop, Plan 9 papers and manual pages are written for educated professionals who won't be confused by terminology introduced and used before explanations. I only today understood parts of the networking paper, and that only by working hard to study it. I considered studying and annotating plan 9 documentation, but I have no room for that in my life.

In short, if I were sane, I would have given up long ago. :) I'm retiring my 9front server and won't be replacing it. I'll use inferno to organize my life instead; likely an emu instance for each acme or subrio i have now. I hope it doesnt' crash too much! I expect you'll still see me in #cat-v most of the time. :)

--
I'm too old to use vi.

* Re: [9front] So long, and thanks for all the code!
@ 2017-03-02 19:06 ` Ethan Grammatikidis
From: Ethan Grammatikidis @ 2017-03-02 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 06:25 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> So long, and thanks for all the code!

I don't think I made clear, I'm not quitting 9front entirely. (I forget little details like these when a conversation gets going, and when I write. See also: fatigue and concentration issues.) I still have a couple of virtual machines and a shiny new install on my X61. I just won't be relying on it every day any more.

* Re: [9front] So long, and thanks for all the code!
@ 2017-03-05  0:52   ` kokamoto
From: kokamoto @ 2017-03-05  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 06:25 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>
> I just won't be relying on it every day any more.

Having a more convenient OS one hand, and having a intellectual toy
like Plan 9 might be good for you and me who once young and powerful.
Take it slowly (not easy☺) now.

Kenji

* Re: [9front] So long, and thanks for all the code!
@ 2017-03-07 16:33 ` archeus
From: archeus @ 2017-03-07 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

You'll be back.