* hget HEAD change 9fronthg:4a780de821ac
@ 2018-10-15  9:36 BurnZeZ
From: BurnZeZ @ 2018-10-15  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

This change should be a good thing, but in the non-standards compliant
real world, many web servers return errors on HEAD requests, or even a
different contentlength than when sending GET.

I think the real problem with hget is that we may rely on the exit
string in order to determine if the file download was completed.  I
wrote my own hget alternative when experimenting with this.

term% fhget -h
usage: fhget [-H header] [-Rtu] file url

By making the output file path explicit, I am able to do,
f=$1
tf=$f.part

If $f already exists, fhget exits with an error.
Otherwise, all it reads from webfs is written to $tf until completion.

Knowing the value of contentlength, if there is some failure but the
size of $tf still ended up matching contentlength (for example, the
entire file was received, but webfs propogates a read error from
/net/tcp/n/data due to packet loss), it can ignore the read error and
perform 'mv $tf $f'.  In this way, $f never exists unless the entire
file is believed to have been obtained.

If contentlength is unknown, $tf is moved to $f only when the GET
request is performed without error.  If there is an error, $tf is left
as is.  If we run fhget with the same args, fhget will request the
entire range starting from whatever the size of $tf is.

I’ve made use of this method since January 2016, and it seems to work,
but I may have overlooked something.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2018-10-15  9:36 UTC | newest]