* [9front] ThinkPad or other Laptop recommendations
@ 2023-09-01 13:04 Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-01 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Greetings,

I contribute financially to help out with the Plan9 work on SDF and have
two virtual servers running,  however,
I do not have Plan9(9Front) running on any hardware at home.

Looking at the 9Front Plan9-Haters book, there are alot of good
suggestions for laptops.

Which models really stand out as good canidates for a Plan9 install?

Thanks!

dmadhatr@sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

* Re: [9front] ThinkPad or other Laptop recommendations
@ 2023-09-01 13:28 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2023-09-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On September 1, 2023 9:04:34 AM EDT, Dmad <dmadhatr@sdf.org> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I contribute financially to help out with the Plan9 work on SDF and have two virtual servers running,  however, I do not have Plan9(9Front) running on any hardware at home.
>
>Looking at the 9Front Plan9-Haters book, there are alot of good suggestions for laptops.
>
>Which models really stand out as good canidates for a Plan9 install?
>
>Thanks!
>
>dmadhatr@sdf.org
>SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org

basically, thinkpads. if you care about display quality, look for ips (or "flexview") screens. vmx[0] will only work on newer machines.

sl

[0] http://fqa.9front.org/fqa8.html#8.7.5.1

* Re: [9front] ThinkPad or other Laptop recommendations
@ 2023-09-06 13:00   ` Dmad
From: Dmad @ 2023-09-06 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023, Stanley Lieber wrote:

Thanks for answering this, I went with a T460S and the newer version of
the N700 mouse.

Appreciated.