* Re: [9front] console=0 by default for the iso
@ 2015-09-30 18:04 sl
From: sl @ 2015-09-30 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

>> pass the kernel directly to qemu with the -kernel option, then pass
>> a plan9.ini file with the -initrd option. in there, specify console=0
>> and any boot parameters you want to use.
>
> that's not really a solution. what reason would there be to not do this?

On IRC, cinap explained:

	what if your nuclear reactor is connected to serial console?
	serial consoles are not plug and play
	there might be barcode printers on it
	or scanners
	or modems
	or who knows what
	just dumping out console shit there is just wrong

sl

* Re: [9front] console=0 by default for the iso
@ 2015-09-30 18:51         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-09-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

soekris machines work fine. the bios emulates the console so all bootloader
input and output works regardless of any console= setting.

we'r talking about the iso here. the iso is ment to boot on all kinds of pc's!
pc's usually have no serial terminals connected to them, this is a special case
that can be handled by changing the bootloader configuration, or in qemus case,
by just adding kernel parameters!

the pc has no standard serial console, it never had. we cannot assume com0 is
connected to a serial terminal by default. the cga framebuffer is standartized.

--
cinap

* Re: [9front] console=0 by default for the iso
@ 2015-09-30  5:01         ` Jerome Ibanes
From: Jerome Ibanes @ 2015-09-30  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

yes, I copied the iso to a usb thumbdrive and it was able to boot from that.

@ 2015-09-30  4:47       ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2015-09-30  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-09-30  4:38     ` Jerome Ibanes
From: Jerome Ibanes @ 2015-09-30  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-09-30  4:25   ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2015-09-30  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-09-30  1:18 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2015-09-30  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

@ 2015-09-30  1:12 sl
From: sl @ 2015-09-30  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

> i'd like to have console=0 on by default in the cdrom plan9.ini.
>
> my use case right now is in qemu, which can be started with a serial
> line, but no graphic adapter like so:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -cdrom 9front.iso -nographic
>
> this will connect the first serial line to qemu's stdin/stdout, but
> you can't do anything because 9front won't send the kernel console
> output there by default
>
> any thoughts?

If this does not affect graphics, I see no reason not to do it.

sl