From: jamos@oboj.net
To: 9front@9front.org
Cc: kokamoto@hera.eonet.ne.jp
Subject: Re: [9front] netsurf native frontend
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 23:10:21 +0300	[thread overview]

Kenji,

Philippe’s new native netsurf frontend is a big step forward. It uses
the same core components and libraries as nsfb, but has a GUI using the
plan 9 drawing primitives directly, as well as the plan 9 event and font
handling. A native frontend has much more control over what happens, and
it is possible to layout components in the browser as we wish, e.g.
having plan 9 style scrollbars.

The framebuffer frontend in Netsurf has its own plotting functions that
modifies a memory bitmap, and the plan 9 framebuffer driver (surface)
then synchonises that bitmap with a Plan 9 window Image using
loadimage() - for the updated area. The framebuffer frontend is foremost
designed to run close to hardware, like embedded systems, or on a
graphics console. It polls for events once a second, which makes the UI
a bit unresponsive, and also consumes a bit more cpu cycles when nothing
happens. It also has its internal event handling mechanism that doesn’t
map 1:1 to the one in plan 9.

Netsurf’s native frontends generally have much more functionality than
the framebuffer frontend (which is more fixed), and they are designed to
integrate with higher-level functions exported by operating system. The
framebuffer frontend has a lot of built-in functionality, such as basic
font handling, which made it an easier target to start with.

The Plan 9 frontend will (if things go well) become one of the Netsurf’s
official frontends, living in its own directory, side by side with other
native frontends for Amiga, Atari ST, BeOS/Haiku, Unix, RiscOS, and
Windows. Being closer to the upstream, also means that it will be easier
to keep up with upcoming tip changes, benefitting, for example, from
improved rendering and javascript support.

It is an advantage that we now have two frontends for plan 9, as they
can be compared both visually and performance wise. I've already noticed
that the native frontend is much quicker if you rcpu to another machine
and run the browser from there.

Jonas