* Computers were a mistake
@ 2019-03-05 10:26 Jean-Luc Picard
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jean-Luc Picard @ 2019-03-05 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Greetings people from the 21st century.

I come from the 24th century. In the 24th century the Borg has
assimilated the Federation. A few of us managed to escape by using
a wormhole that transported us back to the 21st century. Commander
Geordi La Forge has managed to determine that the Borg hive mind
uses technology developed in this century, something they call
"docker".

Lieutenant Commander Data reversed the polarity of his tricoder and
extracted the computer program embedded in a captured Borg. Apparently
it's another example of 21st century technology going amok. We don't
know what it is, but are many references to computer languages like
"C++", "Java", an "XML".

Unfortunately the Enterprise computer got infected with a virus
while trying to decode the XML. Doctor Beverly Crusher tells me
this is the GPL virus.

We have configured our warp core with an intentional breach and we
have sent the warp core your way in the hope for the subspace
implosion will destroy all computers and restore the timeline.

--
Jean-Luc Picard

* Re: [9front] Computers were a mistake
@ 2019-03-05 12:02 ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-03-05 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

i don't like it if i'm honest. you missed out on lots of developments:
no mention of timewarped ioagents gone rogue, no hypercubes, also
docker isn't really that useful, so i doubt the borg would have come
far with it.

your domain on the other hand is very well picked. i'm in awe.

* Re: [9front] Computers were a mistake
@ 2019-03-05 12:03 ` The Rust Evangelism Strike Force
From: The Rust Evangelism Strike Force @ 2019-03-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

We are the Borg. Lower your firewall and surrender your kernels.
We will add your memory-safe and webshit distinctiveness to our
own. Your type system will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

--

@ 2019-03-05 12:03   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-03-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

also: aijuboards

* Re: [9front] Computers were a mistake
@ 2019-03-05 12:34   ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2019-03-05 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

this is 9front. we have no firewall.
safety is achieved by not sharing our thoughts with the computer.

* Re: [9front] Computers were a mistake
@ 2019-03-05 13:55   ` Rodrigo G. López
From: Rodrigo G. López @ 2019-03-05 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

Xorg -> Borg. because they had to go backwards.

@ 2019-03-05 15:20 ` Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2019-03-05 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9front

is this what the new show is about?