* [Caml-list] Module design
@ 2011-08-20 14:31 David Allsopp
       [not found] ` <1313857880.4e4fe158e4d24@imp.free.fr>
From: David Allsopp @ 2011-08-20 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

I'm working on a new version of a framework for a server daemon which can
have custom functionality plugged in through different backends. The present
version works by passing a record containing lots of options along the lines
of:

type backend = {b_connect: (connectionID -> bool) option; b_disconnect:
(connectionID -> unit) option}

which is then passed to a function run which does the actual work, using the
callbacks given in the backend record or substituting defaults where None is
specified.

I'm thinking that a functor would be a much neater way of doing this (and
would also allow for passing around more than just a connectionID if
required) but wondering what the best way of preserving the ability to have
default handlers for functions which a given backend isn't interested in.

I've not really used the module system beyond trivial functor applications
(Set and Map, etc.) but I've come up with the following:

(* Framework.ml *)

(* Individual connection identifiers *)
type connectionID = int

(* Wrapper type for custom connections *)
module type CONNECTION = sig
  type t
  val newConnection : connectionID -> t
end

(* Actual backend type *)
module type BACKEND =
  sig
    include CONNECTION

    (* Toy functions, obviously *)
    val connect : t -> bool
    val disconnect : t -> unit
  end

(* Default behaviour defined in these two modules *)
module Default = struct
  (* Default connection information is just the identifier *)
  module Connection : CONNECTION = struct
    type t = connectionID
    let newConnection connectionID = connectionID
  end

  (* Default functions *)
  module Backend (C : CONNECTION) = struct
    let connect _ = (* ... *)
    let disconnect _ = (* ... *)
  end
end

module Make (Backend : BACKEND) = struct
  let run () = (* ... *)
end

and so an implementation using default connection IDs could be written:

module rec MySimpleBackend : Framework.BACKEND = struct
  include Framework.Default.Connection

  include Framework.Default.Backend(MySimpleBackend)

  let connect _ = (* Alternate behaviour *)
  (* Default disconnect is fine *)
end

and one with more complex connectionIDs could be written:

module rec MyComplexBackend : Framework.BACKEND = struct
  type t = {ci_id : Framework.connectionID; (* ... *) }
  let newConnection id = {ci_id = id; (* ... *) }

  include Framework.Default.Backend(MyComplexBackend)

  let connect {ci_id; (* ... *)} = (* Alternate behaviour *)
end

This pattern seems to work OK but is there an even neater way I haven't
spotted? I'm presuming that in the following:

module Foo = struct let x = true let x = false end

the compiler doesn't create a module with two fields one of which is
inaccessible which would seem to be important (from an aesthetic sense) with
having a module of default functions which get "overridden".

Any guidance/comment appreciated!

David