* [Caml-list] Caml Machine and GP
@ 2003-07-23 18:53 Lukasz Stafiniak
From: Lukasz Stafiniak @ 2003-07-23 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi precious List!

I work on genetic programming with typed terms. I would like to use
OCaml bytecode-system to run my programs.

Evaluation scheme I've used so far: variables by de Brujin indices,
beta-reduction by substitution, recurrence by rational trees (with
mutable reference cells filled when first encountered in
evaluation). I wonder how much of a speedup could I get? -- I guess
MUCH. How big are the overheads? I guess for not computationally
involved tasks evaluation would be still better, due to the
overheads (but these dont give the kicks).

How should I do this? Look around in Toplevel, use the path:

Translcore.transl_exp --> Bytegen.compile_phrase -->
Emitcode.to_memory --> Meta.reify_bytecode?

Say, I put a function in Typedtree.expression at one side, and get the
result at the other side? How about treatment of types -- do I need to
supply them?  My terms are typed, but this would involve translating
types as well, unnecessarily. More -- how to call functions from
outside (perhaps use the environment argument -- what to put
there)... Best way to learn these things is reading the source, I
guess? Can I catch exceptions from code run this way -- I guess I can,
Toplevel does it probably.

I also welcome Hi! responses from people interested in genetic
programming. I plan to feature (type-based or some other) termination
of my programs, and I've developed some generalization algorithms to
use in "intelligent" recombination.

Best wishes,
Lukasz

Uwaga! Do końca sierpnia przedłużyliśmy promocje, do pakietów
wielostanowiskowych dokładamy PenDrive  Sprawdź:
http://www.mks.com.pl/promocja-mobile.html

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml Machine and GP
@ 2003-07-25  9:10 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-07-25  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukasz Stafiniak; +Cc: caml-list

> I work on genetic programming with typed terms. I would like to use
> OCaml bytecode-system to run my programs.

If I understand correctly your needs, there are two approaches that
don't involve hacking the OCaml system to death:

1- The pedestrian approach: pretty-print your programs in OCaml syntax
to a file, invoke the "ocamlc" compiler with Sys.command,
then dynamically load the compiled bytecode using the Dynlink library.

2- The principled approach: have a look at MetaOCaml
(http://www.cs.rice.edu/~taha/MetaOCaml/), which provides clean
mechanisms for meta-programming in Caml, i.e. manipulating and
executing Caml code from within Caml programs.

Hope this helps,

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml Machine and GP
@ 2003-07-25 18:12   ` Lukasz Stafiniak
From: Lukasz Stafiniak @ 2003-07-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi everyone,

MetaOCaml...
Finding again the right end of things...
Thanks.

Lukasz   :-o

Uwaga! Do konca sierpnia przedluzylismy promocje, do pakietów
wielostanowiskowych dokladamy PenDrive  Sprawdz:

@ 2003-08-01 14:45     ` Lukasz Stafiniak
From: Lukasz Stafiniak @ 2003-08-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: splawski

Hi List,

I have just discovered that I cannot (what a pity) typecheck programs before
they are generated. But I have learned a bit trying it :-)

For this reason I must go through Obj.t with code values.

Best wishes,
Lukasz