* [Caml-list] toplevel command history/editing?
@ 2003-03-19  0:04 Graham Guttocks
From: Graham Guttocks @ 2003-03-19  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I was surprised to find that the ocaml toplevel doesn't
support command history, line editing, etc, with the
arrow keys as the Python interpreter does for example.
This makes it difficult to interactively test code.
Am I missing something?

=====
Regards,
Graham

* Re: [Caml-list] toplevel command history/editing?
@ 2003-03-19  0:16 ` SooHyoung Oh
From: SooHyoung Oh @ 2003-03-19  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Guttocks, caml-list

Please check "ledit" and "ocaml2" in Caml humps pages.

---
SooHyoung Oh
email: shoh@duonix.com

@ 2003-03-19  0:19 ` Sergey Goldgaber
From: Sergey Goldgaber @ 2003-03-19  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Guttocks, caml-list

--- Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> I was surprised to find that the ocaml toplevel doesn't
> support command history, line editing, etc, with the
> arrow keys as the Python interpreter does for example.
> This makes it difficult to interactively test code.
> Am I missing something?

According to the Humps, SooHyoung Oh has written something called
OCaml2, "OCaml with editable line history".
http://www.taglib.co.kr/ocaml/index.html

  --Sergey

* Re: [Caml-list] toplevel command history/editing?
@ 2003-03-19  0:22   ` Graham Guttocks
From: Graham Guttocks @ 2003-03-19  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SooHyoung Oh; +Cc: caml-list

SooHyoung Oh <shoh@duonix.com> wrote:

> Please check "ledit" and "ocaml2" in Caml humps pages.

That's nice, but why isn't this ability built into `ocaml'?
I can't think of a reason why any user would not want this.

=====

@ 2003-03-19 16:15     ` cashin
From: cashin @ 2003-03-19 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graham Guttocks; +Cc: SooHyoung Oh, caml-list

Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz> writes:

> SooHyoung Oh <shoh@duonix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please check "ledit" and "ocaml2" in Caml humps pages.
>
> That's nice, but why isn't this ability built into `ocaml'?
> I can't think of a reason why any user would not want this.

Just a guess: maybe a lot of developers are using the "run-caml"
command inside of emacs, which provides history and other nice
features.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* Re: [Caml-list] toplevel command history/editing?
@ 2003-03-20  5:33       ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2003-03-20  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 11:15:16AM -0500, cashin@cs.uga.edu wrote:
> Graham Guttocks <graham_guttocks@yahoo.co.nz> writes:
>
> > SooHyoung Oh <shoh@duonix.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please check "ledit" and "ocaml2" in Caml humps pages.
> >
> > That's nice, but why isn't this ability built into `ocaml'?
> > I can't think of a reason why any user would not want this.
>
> Just a guess: maybe a lot of developers are using the "run-caml"
> command inside of emacs, which provides history and other nice
> features.

I think a major reason is licensing: the GNU readline library is licensed
under the GPL, whereas the O'Caml toplevel is licensed under the QPL, and
these two licenses are not compatible.  Check

    http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/LICENSE.html

for more info.

Since `ledit' is a standalone program, this sort of thing doesn't crop up.

cheers,
William