* [Caml-list] sybase interface?
@ 2003-04-09 13:35 Michael Wohlwend
From: Michael Wohlwend @ 2003-04-09 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi there,

ist there a ocaml-module available to access Sybase Databases?
If so, i could merge my (in my opinion now too big :-) perl-code to ocaml in
one project.

cheers
 Michael

* DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-11 17:18 ` Christophe TROESTLER
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2003-04-11 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi everybody,

A while ago, it was said on this list that a common database interface
(à la Perl DBI) would be nice.  Is there any progress in that
direction?  If dynamic selection of the database is not needed,
agreeing on a minimal API (that must cover all usual needs) is enough.
Otherwise, one must define a basic set of facilities that each basic
database interface (perl DBD) must provide and use dynamic loading to
a common DBI module.  So, in my opinion, the first thing to do is any
case is

  agree on a general database interface.

Are there people interested on this list?  Personally I don't have
much time to contribute but as I will be soon in need of using DB, I
am willing to make an effort.

Cheers,
ChriS

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-12 11:48   ` Matt Gushee
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matt Gushee @ 2003-04-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:18:44PM +0200, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:

>   agree on a general database interface.
>
> Are there people interested on this list?  Personally I don't have
> much time to contribute but as I will be soon in need of using DB, I
> am willing to make an effort.

Same here. I don't think we're the first to think of this, though. Gerd
Stolpmann's OCamlDB package
  (http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/ocamldb/)
seems to be an effort in the same direction. Maybe it would be a good
starting point.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* [Caml-list] Re: DBI
@ 2003-04-12 18:57   ` cashin
From: cashin @ 2003-04-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Christophe TROESTLER <debian00@tiscali.be> writes:

> Otherwise, one must define a basic set of facilities that each basic
> database interface (perl DBD) must provide and use dynamic loading to
> a common DBI module.  So, in my opinion, the first thing to do is any
> case is
>
>   agree on a general database interface.

With perl, there were a few different DBI-type things and the others
fell into disuse.  So I'm not sure that agreement is necessary so much
as a really good (stable, simple, general, well-documented)
implementation.

> Are there people interested on this list?

Sure.  No telling when I'll want to use a database from ocaml, but
when I do, it would be nice if I don't have to tie myself to one
particular db.

--
--Ed L Cashin            |   PGP public key:
  ecashin@uga.edu        |   http://noserose.net/e/pgp/

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-12 20:30     ` Erik Arneson
From: Erik Arneson @ 2003-04-12 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gushee; +Cc: caml-list

On 12 April 2003, Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> wrote:
> Same here. I don't think we're the first to think of this, though. Gerd
> Stolpmann's OCamlDB package
>   (http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/ocamldb/)
> seems to be an effort in the same direction. Maybe it would be a good
> starting point.

That is a great package, I have used it quite a bit.  The only thing
it's really missing is parameter binding, which is a tricky thing to do
elegantly.  Somebody else sent me an email before with some pretty good
ideas, but I can't seem to recall who it was.  Sorry.  :)

--
;; Erik Arneson <erik@aarg.net>    AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C           <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-12 22:33       ` Seth Kurtzberg
From: Seth Kurtzberg @ 2003-04-12 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Arneson; +Cc: mgushee, caml-list

All,

Please include me in any effort in this direction.  I have parameter binding working in my interface, but it is very preliminary and I'm not convinced I've done it in the best possible way.

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:30:55 -0700
Erik Arneson <erik@aarg.net> wrote:

> On 12 April 2003, Matt Gushee <mgushee@havenrock.com> wrote:
> > Same here. I don't think we're the first to think of this, though. Gerd
> > Stolpmann's OCamlDB package
> >   (http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/documentation/ocamldb/)
> > seems to be an effort in the same direction. Maybe it would be a good
> > starting point.
>
> That is a great package, I have used it quite a bit.  The only thing
> it's really missing is parameter binding, which is a tricky thing to do
> elegantly.  Somebody else sent me an email before with some pretty good
> ideas, but I can't seem to recall who it was.  Sorry.  :)
>
> --
> ;; Erik Arneson <erik@aarg.net>    AARG Net <http://www.aarg.net/> ;;
> ;; GPG Key ID: 2048R/8B4CBC9C           <http://erik.arneson.org/> ;;
> ;; "Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God!" - Thomas Jefferson ;;

Seth Kurtzberg
MIS Corp
480-661-1849
seth@cql.com

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-13  2:47   ` Vitaly Lugovsky
From: Vitaly Lugovsky @ 2003-04-13  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe TROESTLER; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:

> A while ago, it was said on this list that a common database
> interface
> (? la Perl DBI) would be nice.

 Nice? May be. But impossible. E.g., for Oracle you have to use
prepared statements with variables substitution, when in
Postgres there is no need to mess with this stuff - performance
is good enough if you create a new statement for every request.

 Postgres have asyncronous messages. OCI don't. Other database
interfaces could be even more different...

> Are there people interested on this list?  Personally I don't
> have
> much time to contribute but as I will be soon in need of using
> DB, I
> am willing to make an effort.

 I have no problems in using two quite different APIs in a
mid-layer - Oracle and Postgres. And I don't think I'll ever will
try to use any kind of generic interface. I ate this shit with
JDBC, and I don't want it any more...

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
@ 2003-04-13 12:23     ` Michael Neumann
From: Michael Neumann @ 2003-04-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Vitaly Lugovsky wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Christophe TROESTLER wrote:
>
> > A while ago, it was said on this list that a common database
> > interface
> > (? la Perl DBI) would be nice.
>
>  Nice? May be. But impossible. E.g., for Oracle you have to use
> prepared statements with variables substitution, when in
> Postgres there is no need to mess with this stuff - performance
> is good enough if you create a new statement for every request.
>
>  Postgres have asyncronous messages. OCI don't. Other database
> interfaces could be even more different...

IMHO many people just want to issue their SQL commands and get
back the resulting rows, without writing too much code. And they
don't use many of the special features, like asynchronous messages etc.

If someone want's to start a DBI-like interface, please also have a look
at Ruby/DBI (I'm the creator of it).

http://ruby-dbi.sf.net

And it's DBI specification:

http://ruby-dbi.sourceforge.net/DBI_SPEC.html

Also take a look at Python's DB API.

> > Are there people interested on this list?  Personally I don't
> > have

Even if I'm not a OCaml guy, I'd like to help with the interface
as much as I can.

> > much time to contribute but as I will be soon in need of using
> > DB, I
> > am willing to make an effort.
>
>  I have no problems in using two quite different APIs in a
> mid-layer - Oracle and Postgres. And I don't think I'll ever will
> try to use any kind of generic interface. I ate this shit with
> JDBC, and I don't want it any more...

You can't compare JDBC with DBI. DBI is a very pragmatic approach to
a database interface, without much overhead (in terms of additional code),
whereas JDBC doesn't help write less code. I don't like to read hundreds
of pages, before I can issue a simple SQL statement. With DBI, it's just
5 lines of code.

Regards,

  Michael

* Re: DBI (was : [Caml-list] sybase interface?)
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-04-14  1:23   ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2003-04-14  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, Christophe TROESTLER

>   agree on a general database interface.
>
> Are there people interested on this list?  Personally I don't have
> much time to contribute but as I will be soon in need of using DB, I
> am willing to make an effort.

Such discussions are difficult to handle on the Caml-list, since there is
only a few people that are interested in the topic. I suggest that we switch
to the ExtLib mailling list , since that interface will obviously be part of
the ExtLib ( this is an OCaml Standard - extended - Library ).

People who are willing to contribute can join the mailling list here :
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=74666

Nicolas Cannasse