* [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-02-28 22:05 Will Benton
From: Will Benton @ 2002-02-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I may be missing something, but is there a way to get ADvi into
full-screen mode?

wb

--
Will Benton      | "Die richtige Methode der Philosophie wäre eigentlich
willb@acm.org    |  die: Nichts zu sagen, als was sich sagen läßt...."

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-01  7:38 ` Didier Remy
From: Didier Remy @ 2002-03-01  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Will Benton; +Cc: caml-list, advi-bugs

Will Benton <willb@cs.wisc.edu> writes:

> I may be missing something, but is there a way to get ADvi into
> full-screen mode?

        Control F

toggles Fullscreen mode

(on-line help bindings does not seem uptodate)

However, it's behavior is just to make the window as large as you screen,
and you may still need to tell your window manager not to put a frame
around.

You can also launch advi with geometry argument so that it covers the
screen completely.

        Didier

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-04  9:49   ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2002-03-04  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Didier Remy; +Cc: Will Benton, caml-list, advi-bugs

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 08:38:29AM +0100, Didier Remy wrote:
> Will Benton <willb@cs.wisc.edu> writes:
>
> > I may be missing something, but is there a way to get ADvi into
> > full-screen mode?
>
>         Control F
>
> toggles Fullscreen mode
>
> (on-line help bindings does not seem uptodate)

Mmm, i have written a more complete manpage for advi (attached below),
compiling information from the README file and the command line help, but
there was no reference about this feature, are there other such 'hidden'
features in advi ?

Also, it would be very nice if this would also be available as a command line
option (-f for example), as well as the fonts preload commands.

> However, it's behavior is just to make the window as large as you screen,
> and you may still need to tell your window manager not to put a frame
> around.
>
> You can also launch advi with geometry argument so that it covers the
> screen completely.

An example on how to do that would also be nice in the documentation.

Saddly, i don't know how to do this personally.

BTW, i have had a bug report about advi 0.3.1 (not yet tested on advi 1.0.0,
but it may well be that this problem persist, as i was not able to view one of
my dvi files). The report was about problems when previewing dvi files which
contain postscript fonts (Times), and not finfing them (noting that xdvi
shows them without problem).

Is this the normal behavior, or is something wrong about it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-04 10:11     ` Pierre Boulet
From: Pierre Boulet @ 2002-03-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven; +Cc: Didier Remy, Will Benton, caml-list, advi-bugs

> BTW, i have had a bug report about advi 0.3.1 (not yet tested on advi 1.0.0,
> but it may well be that this problem persist, as i was not able to view one of
> my dvi files). The report was about problems when previewing dvi files which
> contain postscript fonts (Times), and not finfing them (noting that xdvi
> shows them without problem).
>
> Is this the normal behavior, or is something wrong about it.

I have exactly the same problem. It looks like it is something about
virtual fonts. As I always use postscript fonts, advi is nearly unusable
for me, which is a pity :-(

--
Pierre.Boulet@lifl.fr -  http://www.lifl.fr/~boulet

    Toute technologie suffisamment avancée est
    indiscernable de la magie. -- Arthur C. Clarke

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-04 10:13     ` Jun P.FURUSE
From: Jun P.FURUSE @ 2002-03-04 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luther; +Cc: remy, willb, caml-list, advi-bugs

Hello, Sven,

> but it may well be that this problem persist, as i was not able to view one of
> my dvi files). The report was about problems when previewing dvi files which
> contain postscript fonts (Times), and not finfing them (noting that xdvi
> shows them without problem).
>
> Is this the normal behavior, or is something wrong about it.

Sorry. Currently, ADVI can handle pk-fonts only. Postscript fonts are
not supported. They can be easily supported, if someone writes a
rasterizer of postscript fonts...

--
Jun

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-04 10:36       ` Sven
From: Sven @ 2002-03-04 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: remy, willb, caml-list, advi-bugs

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:13:26AM +0100, Jun P.FURUSE wrote:
> Hello, Sven,
>
> > but it may well be that this problem persist, as i was not able to view one of
> > my dvi files). The report was about problems when previewing dvi files which
> > contain postscript fonts (Times), and not finfing them (noting that xdvi
> > shows them without problem).
> >
> > Is this the normal behavior, or is something wrong about it.
>
> Sorry. Currently, ADVI can handle pk-fonts only. Postscript fonts are
> not supported. They can be easily supported, if someone writes a
> rasterizer of postscript fonts...

Ok, it should be added in the docs then, in order to await confusion.

But i am curious, is it not possible to use the same mechanism for viewing
postscript images (well included eps ones) to rasterize the postscript fonts ?

(Not having looked at the code and other such).

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-04 10:37       ` Pierre Boulet
From: Pierre Boulet @ 2002-03-04 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun P.FURUSE; +Cc: luther, remy, willb, caml-list, advi-bugs

> > but it may well be that this problem persist, as i was not able to view one of
> > my dvi files). The report was about problems when previewing dvi files which
> > contain postscript fonts (Times), and not finfing them (noting that xdvi
> > shows them without problem).
> >
> > Is this the normal behavior, or is something wrong about it.
>
> Sorry. Currently, ADVI can handle pk-fonts only. Postscript fonts are
> not supported. They can be easily supported, if someone writes a
> rasterizer of postscript fonts...

gsftopk does the job and is called by xdvi to generate the pk fonts.
IMHO, what needs to be written is a decoder for virtual fonts and to
generate the right call to gsftopk.

--

@ 2002-03-04 11:18         ` Achim Blumensath
From: Achim Blumensath @ 2002-03-04 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:36:06AM +0100, Sven wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:13:26AM +0100, Jun P.FURUSE wrote:
> > Sorry. Currently, ADVI can handle pk-fonts only. Postscript fonts are
> > not supported. They can be easily supported, if someone writes a
> > rasterizer of postscript fonts...
>
> But i am curious, is it not possible to use the same mechanism for viewing
> postscript images (well included eps ones) to rasterize the postscript fonts ?

I haven't looked at ADVI at all, so far. Other previewers support
PostScript fonts through the kpathsea library which calls the script
mktexpk if the font isn't found. mktexpk converts PostScript fonts
into PK-fonts using the gsftopk utility (which is based on ghostscript).

Achim

* Re: [Caml-list] ActiveDVI and fullscreen?
@ 2002-03-01 15:49 Roberto Di Cosmo
From: Roberto Di Cosmo @ 2002-03-01 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, willb

just type ctrl-f :-)