* [Caml-list] Problem compiling on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
@ 2003-06-09 15:22 Mary F. Fernandez
From: Mary F. Fernandez @ 2003-06-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I am trying to compile on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 with gcc version 3.2
(could the gcc version be the problem?)
I ran "configure --no-tk".

I get pretty far along then get the error below.  I cannot find
any library named gcc_s.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
thx Mary

../../boot/ocamlrun ../../tools/ocamlmklib -o unix accept.o access.o addrofstr.o
alarm.o bind.o chdir.o chmod.o chown.o chroot.o close.o closedir.o connect.o
cst2constr.o cstringv.o dup.o dup2.o envir.o errmsg.o execv.o execve.o execvp.o
exit.o fchmod.o fchown.o fcntl.o fork.o ftruncate.o getcwd.o getegid.o geteuid.o
getgid.o getgr.o getgroups.o gethost.o gethostname.o getlogin.o getpeername.o
getpid.o getppid.o getproto.o getpw.o gettimeofday.o getserv.o getsockname.o
getuid.o gmtime.o
itimer.o kill.o link.o listen.o lockf.o lseek.o mkdir.o mkfifo.o nice.o open.o
opendir.o pipe.o putenv.o read.o readdir.o readlink.o rename.o rewinddir.o
rmdir.o select.o sendrecv.o setgid.o setsid.o setuid.o shutdown.o signals.o
sleep.o socket.o socketaddr.o socketpair.o sockopt.o stat.o strofaddr.o
symlink.o termios.o time.o times.o truncate.o umask.o unixsupport.o unlink.o
utimes.o wait.o write.o
ld: fatal: library -lgcc_s: not found
ld: fatal: library -lgcc_s: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to dllunix.so
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[1]: *** [libunix.a] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mff/lib/ocaml-3.06/otherlibs/unix'
gmake: *** [otherlibraries] Error 2

--
Mary Fernandez, Principal Technical Staff Member
AT&T Labs - Research, 180 Park Ave., Room E243, Florham Park, NJ 07932-0971

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem compiling on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
@ 2003-06-09 16:30 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-06-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mary F. Fernandez; +Cc: caml-list

> I am trying to compile on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 with gcc version 3.2
> (could the gcc version be the problem?)
> I ran "configure --no-tk".
>
> I get pretty far along then get the error below.  I cannot find
> any library named gcc_s.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

It could be due to a gcc installation problem.  I had no problems
compiling OCaml under Solaris 2.9 using either Sun's provided gcc 2
or a precompiled gcc 3 that I found on a "Sun Software" site.

To diagnose the problem, it would be useful to stick a "-verbose"
option to ocamlmklib in the call

> ../../boot/ocamlrun ../../tools/ocamlmklib -o unix accept.o [...]

But in a hurry you can also configure OCaml with the -no-shared-libs
option.  That might be enough to avoid running into the problem.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Problem compiling on sparc-sun-solaris2.8
@ 2003-06-09 18:34   ` Mary Fernandez
From: Mary Fernandez @ 2003-06-09 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list, Jerome Simeon

Hi Xavier,

The -no-shared-libs option did the trick.

Thanks,
Mary

--
Mary Fernandez <mff@research.att.com>