From: Michel Christophe <tofm2@yahoo.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] architecture optimisation at compile time for ocaml 3.06
Date: 01 Jul 2003 17:30:45 +0200	[thread overview]

> > The native-code OCaml compiler has only one code generator for the
> > whole IA32 family.  This code generator is called "i386" for
> > historical reasons, but it is not particulary optimized for the Intel
> > 386 processor.  Actually, the generated code is targeted for efficient
> > execution on the PPro-PII-PIII family, and appears to fit the Athlon
> > quite well too.

And it does fit, mine works fine, extremely fine. But... why not put
some cflags possibilities in it, so that one can enhance the performance
of his compiler on certain kinds of architecture..

> > No :-)  Quite frankly, given the subset of the IA32 instruction set
> > that OCaml generates, I can't see any Athlon-specific optimizations
> > that would be worth doing.
> >

> 3DNow, cache control. This are just first thoughts.

yes, any processor specific optimization would be worth doing in my
opinion. I am not an ocaml expert, far from this...!! All I wanted was a
working compiler, I now have it, but every time I install a new soft on
my machine, i want it to run fast as a shark.

Even Linux kernel is achitecture optimized, so why not ocaml ?

note: this is just a suggestion, don't take it badly.