* [Caml-list] architecture optimisation at compile time for ocaml 3.06
@ 2003-07-01  9:07 Christophe Michel
From: Christophe Michel @ 2003-07-01  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello list

I just have finished the download and installation of ocaml for my
mandrake 9.1

It works fine, great

Although it seems to be like if there was a little problem

my system relies on an athlon XP2000+ and I would like to take
advantage of this architecture for speed purposes.

but at configure times, the logs seem to be a little erratic:

[root@msi ocaml]# ./configure -with-pthread
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu ...

# ok, that's what I want...
(...)

Configuration for the native-code compiler:
        hardware architecture..... i386
        OS variant................ linux_elf
        C compiler used........... gcc
        options for compiling..... -Wall -Wno-unused
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT

# so why now i386

I could not play with cflags as with some other sources,

can anyone help me in optimizing source for athlon ??

thanks in advance

Christophe Michel

=====

* Re: [Caml-list] architecture optimisation at compile time for ocaml 3.06
@ 2003-07-01 13:23 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-07-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Michel; +Cc: caml-list

> my system relies on an athlon XP2000+ and I would like to take
> advantage of this architecture for speed purposes.
>
> but at configure times, the logs seem to be a little erratic:
>
> [root@msi ocaml]# ./configure -with-pthread
> Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnu ...
>
> # ok, that's what I want...
> (...)
>
> Configuration for the native-code compiler:
>         hardware architecture..... i386
>         OS variant................ linux_elf
>         C compiler used........... gcc
>         options for compiling..... -Wall -Wno-unused
> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT
>
> # so why now i386

The native-code OCaml compiler has only one code generator for the
whole IA32 family.  This code generator is called "i386" for
historical reasons, but it is not particulary optimized for the Intel
386 processor.  Actually, the generated code is targeted for efficient
execution on the PPro-PII-PIII family, and appears to fit the Athlon
quite well too.  The next release will include a few P4-specific
tricks that do not decrease performance on other processors.

> can anyone help me in optimizing source for athlon ??

No :-)  Quite frankly, given the subset of the IA32 instruction set
that OCaml generates, I can't see any Athlon-specific optimizations
that would be worth doing.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] architecture optimisation at compile time for ocaml 3.06
@ 2003-07-01 15:08   ` Nickolay Kolchin-Semyonov
From: Nickolay Kolchin-Semyonov @ 2003-07-01 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy, Christophe Michel; +Cc: caml-list

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 17:23, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > my system relies on an athlon XP2000+ and I would like to take
>
> The native-code OCaml compiler has only one code generator for the
> whole IA32 family.  This code generator is called "i386" for
> historical reasons, but it is not particulary optimized for the Intel
> 386 processor.  Actually, the generated code is targeted for efficient
> execution on the PPro-PII-PIII family, and appears to fit the Athlon
> quite well too.  The next release will include a few P4-specific
> tricks that do not decrease performance on other processors.

What about "cmov" support? This is not P4 specific, this command present for
extremely long time.

> > can anyone help me in optimizing source for athlon ??
>
> No :-)  Quite frankly, given the subset of the IA32 instruction set
> that OCaml generates, I can't see any Athlon-specific optimizations
> that would be worth doing.

3DNow, cache control. This are just first thoughts.

Nickolay

* Re: [Caml-list] architecture optimisation at compile time for ocaml 3.06
@ 2003-07-01 15:30     ` Michel Christophe
From: Michel Christophe @ 2003-07-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> > The native-code OCaml compiler has only one code generator for the
> > whole IA32 family.  This code generator is called "i386" for
> > historical reasons, but it is not particulary optimized for the Intel
> > 386 processor.  Actually, the generated code is targeted for efficient
> > execution on the PPro-PII-PIII family, and appears to fit the Athlon
> > quite well too.

And it does fit, mine works fine, extremely fine. But... why not put
some cflags possibilities in it, so that one can enhance the performance
of his compiler on certain kinds of architecture..

> > No :-)  Quite frankly, given the subset of the IA32 instruction set
> > that OCaml generates, I can't see any Athlon-specific optimizations
> > that would be worth doing.
> >

> 3DNow, cache control. This are just first thoughts.

yes, any processor specific optimization would be worth doing in my
opinion. I am not an ocaml expert, far from this...!! All I wanted was a
working compiler, I now have it, but every time I install a new soft on
my machine, i want it to run fast as a shark.

Even Linux kernel is achitecture optimized, so why not ocaml ?

note: this is just a suggestion, don't take it badly.