* Re: [Caml-list] GODI, second version
@ 2003-08-05  7:53     ` Issac Trotts
From: Issac Trotts @ 2003-08-05  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Jacques Garrigue wrote:

>From: "Alexander V. Voinov" <avv@quasar.ipa.nw.ru>
>

>>Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
>>

>>>- I have tested GODI on:
>>> * Debian Linux
>>> * SuSE Linux
>>> * Solaris 8
>>>

>>I've tried it today on Solaris 8, and during the build of godi-ocaml it
>>says:
>>
>>../../boot/ocamlrun ../../tools/ocamlmklib -o unix accept.o access.o
>>addrofstr.o alarm.o bind.o chdir.o chmod.o
>>

>[...]
>

>>/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- W
>>
>>The standard ocaml distribution (3.06) was built on this machine without
>>a problem.
>>

>Just a marginal comment: when reporting a bug about solaris, you must
>imperatively tell which C compiler and which linker/assembler you are
>using (here the linker is clear). GNU and Sun tools have different
>behaviours, and this might be the cause.
>(Also I suppose you're working on sparc. For one, I use solaris 8 on x86.)

GODI would be more portable if it were written completely in OCaml, not
depending make, bash, C compilers, or anything else.  Python's distutils
relies
on Python only, except for two .c files and two .h files in the version
for Python
1.5.  The version of distutils packaged with Python 2.2 is 100% pure Python.

Issac Trotts

* [Caml-list] GODI, second version
@ 2003-08-05 15:08 Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-08-05 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi list,

there is now an improved version of GODI for download:

http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/godi-bootstrap-20030805.tar.gz

The most important change is that godi_build announces its build plan
before it starts, making the build process more transparent. The build
plan also shows hints which options in godi.conf have an effect on which
package.

Further improvements:

- For Linux systems, many of the system commands can now be found in
  both /bin and /usr/bin. There does not seem to be a standard, so
  GODI now searches the commands.

- The bootstrap script tries to pre-configure labltk. It looks into
  much more locations that the O'Caml configure script. I think this
  was one of the biggest problems in the first release.

- For BSD systems, not all of the bootstrap tools are built.

- I have tested GODI on:
  * Debian Linux
  * SuSE Linux
  * Solaris 8
  * FreeBSD (ancient version)
  Note that you will have problems if there is only tcl/tk 8.4; this is
  an O'Caml 3.06 problem.

This release of GODI still supports only 3.06. If it is usable, I will
go on with 3.07beta.

Gerd

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI, second version
@ 2003-08-05 18:30 ` Alexander V. Voinov
From: Alexander V. Voinov @ 2003-08-05 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerd Stolpmann; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Gerd,

Gerd Stolpmann wrote:

>- I have tested GODI on:
>  * Debian Linux
>  * SuSE Linux
>  * Solaris 8

I've tried it today on Solaris 8, and during the build of godi-ocaml it
says:

../../boot/ocamlrun ../../tools/ocamlmklib -o unix accept.o access.o
addrofstr.o alarm.o bind.o chdir.o chmod.o
  chown.o chroot.o close.o closedir.o connect.o cst2constr.o cstringv.o
dup.o dup2.o envir.o errmsg.o execv.o
execve.o execvp.o exit.o  fchmod.o fchown.o fcntl.o fork.o ftruncate.o
getcwd.o getegid.o  geteuid.o getgid.o g
etgr.o getgroups.o gethost.o gethostname.o  getlogin.o getpeername.o
getpid.o getppid.o getproto.o getpw.o  get
timeofday.o getserv.o getsockname.o getuid.o  gmtime.o itimer.o kill.o
link.o listen.o lockf.o lseek.o mkdir.o
 mkfifo.o nice.o open.o opendir.o pipe.o putenv.o read.o  readdir.o
readlink.o rename.o rewinddir.o rmdir.o sel
ect.o sendrecv.o  setgid.o setsid.o setuid.o shutdown.o signals.o
sleep.o socket.o socketaddr.o  socketpair.o
sockopt.o stat.o strofaddr.o symlink.o termios.o  time.o times.o
truncate.o umask.o unixsupport.o unlink.o  uti
mes.o wait.o write.o
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- W

The standard ocaml distribution (3.06) was built on this machine without
a problem.

Thank you!

Alexander

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI, second version
@ 2003-08-06  0:39   ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2003-08-06  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: avv; +Cc: caml-list

From: "Alexander V. Voinov" <avv@quasar.ipa.nw.ru>

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>

* Re: [Caml-list] GODI, second version
@ 2003-08-06  1:05 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2003-08-06  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info; +Cc: caml-list

From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
> there is now an improved version of GODI for download:
>
> http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/godi-bootstrap-20030805.tar.gz
>
> - The bootstrap script tries to pre-configure labltk. It looks into
>   much more locations that the O'Caml configure script. I think this
>   was one of the biggest problems in the first release.

OK. Nice attempt, and properly splitting the work with ocaml's
configuration script.
By the way, I'm not sure this is a good idea to make labltk an
optional package, for two reasons:
- since it gets configured with ocaml, you have to recompile ocaml if
  something goes wrong (your pre-search may help, but since you don't
  check by explicitly linking this may still be wrong).
- it includes ocamlbrowser, which is an ocaml tool expected to be
  there

If your motivation is to allow binary packages including only part of
the stuff, then it might be a better idea to make ocaml a metapackage,
and have packages ocaml-core, ocaml-graphics, ocaml-labltk,
ocaml-camlp4 as dependencies.

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp

@ 2003-08-07 10:55   ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2003-08-07 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Garrigue; +Cc: caml-list

Am Mit, 2003-08-06 um 03.05 schrieb Jacques Garrigue:
> From: Gerd Stolpmann <info@gerd-stolpmann.de>
> > there is now an improved version of GODI for download:
> >
> > http://www.ocaml-programming.de/packages/godi-bootstrap-20030805.tar.gz
> >
> > - The bootstrap script tries to pre-configure labltk. It looks into
> >   much more locations that the O'Caml configure script. I think this
> >   was one of the biggest problems in the first release.
>
> OK. Nice attempt, and properly splitting the work with ocaml's
> configuration script.
> By the way, I'm not sure this is a good idea to make labltk an
> optional package, for two reasons:
> - since it gets configured with ocaml, you have to recompile ocaml if
>   something goes wrong (your pre-search may help, but since you don't
>   check by explicitly linking this may still be wrong).
> - it includes ocamlbrowser, which is an ocaml tool expected to be
>   there
>
> If your motivation is to allow binary packages including only part of
> the stuff, then it might be a better idea to make ocaml a metapackage,
> and have packages ocaml-core, ocaml-graphics, ocaml-labltk,
> ocaml-camlp4 as dependencies.

I am more thinking of server installations without X windows, so the
split is X/non-X. camlp4 is part of the main ocaml package, there is
really no need to have it separate.

Maybe a solution of the configuration problem is to run the configure
script again for labltk, but only to use the labltk-specific results
(i.e. tkdefs, tklibs). This is more user-friendly than the current
solution, and there is no danger to configure the various parts in an
incompatible way.

Meta packages: nice idea, but the question is what the users want to
have. Maybe they are more interested in "distribution sets" for tasks,
i.e. a graphics set, a web set, a database set, ...

Gerd