* [Caml-list] Pattern matching of records
@ 2015-09-16 12:19 Leonardo Laguna Ruiz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Leonardo Laguna Ruiz @ 2015-09-16 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have the following type

(* File: S.ml *)
module S = struct
    type s =
       {
          a : int;
          b : int;
       }
end

I I have found that for creating records I can do as follows:

(* File: main.ml *)
open S
let s0 = S.{ a = 0; b = 0}

However this does not work for pattern matching:

(* this does not work *)
match s0 with
| S.{ a = 0 ; b = 0 } -> true
| _ -> false

These two alternatives work, but one with a warning and the other
(depending on the type) is too verbose:

(* this produces a warning *)
match s0 with
| { a = 0 ; b = 0 } -> true
| _ -> false

(* this works *)
match s0 with
| { S.a = 0 ; S.b = 0 } -> true
| _ -> false

Is there any other way of writing pattern matches as compact as S.{ a =
0 ; b = 0 } ? (which is consistent to the construction of the same value)

I know that it's possible to do:

let open S in
match s0 with
| { a = 0 ; b = 0 } -> true
| _ -> false

but the main reason I don't do it is because I have more records like:

match s0,k0 with
| { S.a = 0 }, {K.a = 0 } -> true

Best regards,

Leonardo

* Re: [Caml-list] Pattern matching of records
@ 2015-09-16 12:26 ` Nicolas Ojeda Bar
From: Nicolas Ojeda Bar @ 2015-09-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leonardo Laguna Ruiz; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Leonardo,

You only need to fully qualify _one_ label in order to disambiguate the
record type, for example:

  match s0 with
  | {S.a = 0; b = 0} -> true
  | _ -> false

Cheers,
Nicolas

@ 2015-09-16 12:26 ` Thibault Suzanne
From: Thibault Suzanne @ 2015-09-16 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

There is no need to specify the origin module in front of each field :

match s0 with

@ 2015-09-16 12:28   ` Leonardo Laguna Ruiz
From: Leonardo Laguna Ruiz @ 2015-09-16 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list