From: Claude Marche <Claude.Marche@lri.fr>
To: jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant)
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Announcement: SpamOracle
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:51:35 +0200	[thread overview]

    Jérôme> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> writes:
    >> On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 12:43:54PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
    >>> That said, what i really wanted to know, is if you have some idea of how
    >>> spamoracle would scale in case of heavy load, if you use it to filter
    >>> mailing lists input for example ? For example, do you use it to filter
    >>> the ocaml mailing lists or something such ? Or do you think it would be
    >>> possible to filter the debian mailing lists and not have the mailserver
    >>> overload or something such ?
    >>
    >> BTW, have you performed any comparison with spamassassin?

    Jérôme> Hi,

    Jérôme> I've already tried spamoracle: I fed it with about 2000 spams and
    Jérôme> 3000 good mails and it too often considered good mail as spam.

Hi,

I use Spamoracle almost since it has been announced. Before, I was
using SpamAssassin. Currently, my Spamoracle database contains roughly
20000 good mails and 1000 spams (not including asiatic language spams
which are filtered differently).

Now, I usually get 0 or 1 spam per day not filtered, usually because
there are written in french and my database is not large enough for
those. I check my spamoracle folder some time to time, I had almost no
good mail classified as spam, and if I get one, I immediately move the
mail in a `good' folder and rebuild the database. I suggest you should
check to way you built your database, may be you made some mistakes.

With respect to SpamAssassin, SpamOracle runs much faster, this would
not surprise anyone here since SpamAssassin is a perl
script. Moreover, I had problems with SpamAssassin because I receive
my mails on several machines, not running the very same version of
perl, that sometime leads to runtime error in execution of
SpamAssassin.

Finally, one should be aware that the filtering methods of
SpamAssassin and SpamOracle are very different, and I like very much
the idea, in SpamOracle, that the filter should be tuned by the user personal
idea of what is a spam. I recommend reading Paul Graham's paper
(http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html) on which SpamOracle filter
method is based.

I wish you a happy spam filtering !

- Claude