* [Caml-list] Module intf/impl annoyances
@ 2003-04-12 16:18 Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2003-04-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi there,

I ran into what I think is a counter-intuitive feature in separate compilation
of modules that I want to share with you.

It looks like others also had problems with having to dupe type signatures in
both .mli and .ml files, so is there a working proposal to that end?

Since the .mli and .ml files are properly seen as sig and struct declarations,
it looks as if a slight change in the semantics of struct would solve the
problem: Those types declared in the corresponding sig but not redeclared in
the struct are part of the struct. Is that really a reasonable and
transparent solution?

The "other" cool functional language solves this by qualifying what to export;
having the advantage that you declare types only once.

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara  KDE Project: http://www.kde.org

* Re: [Caml-list] Module intf/impl annoyances
@ 2003-04-22 13:23 ` Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2003-04-22 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

   It looks like others also had problems with having to dupe
   type signatures in both .mli and .ml files, so is there a
   working proposal to that end?

The last time (I remember) this came up the answer was to use a
literate programming tool. See
http://caml.inria.fr/archives/199710/msg00001.html .

Bye,

Hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] Module intf/impl annoyances
@ 2003-04-25  9:29   ` Jean-Christophe Filliatre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliatre @ 2003-04-25  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

Hendrik Tews writes:

 >    It looks like others also had problems with having to dupe
 >    type signatures in both .mli and .ml files, so is there a
 >    working proposal to that end?

When the type is big, a good solution that I often use is to put it in
a separate  file (and then you  can even use  a .mli file with  no .ml
counterpart).

--
Jean-Christophe