* [Caml-list] Running an Opam Cache?
@ 2016-10-30  8:34 Christian Lindig
From: Christian Lindig @ 2016-10-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Opam is the best way to install OCaml packages. By default it will download each package from the URL provided in a package and thus it relies on these being available over the internet. This entails a danger that they might not, or change (although the checksum provides some protection). Is there a way to setup an Opam repository locally such that an "opam install” would download (selected) sources from a local archive?

I understand that packages can be pinned locally using each package’s Git repo and this would work if each package also includes its opam files. I am looking for a way to populate the cache with the tar/zip files that the Opam packages point to.

— Christian

* Re: [Caml-list] Running an Opam Cache?
@ 2016-10-31 18:25 ` Thomas Gazagnaire
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2016-10-31 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Lindig; +Cc: caml-list

> I understand that packages can be pinned locally using each package’s Git repo and this would work if each package also includes its opam files. I am looking for a way to populate the cache with the tar/zip files that the Opam packages point to.

There are various ways to do it, the easiest one would be to use `opam-admin`:

```
$ git clone https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository
$ cd opam-repository
$ opam-admin make --resolve [an optional list of packages to limit the size of the cache]
$ opam remote add local-cache .
```
Best,
Thomas

* Re: [Caml-list] Running an Opam Cache?
@ 2016-10-31 21:37   ` Hezekiah M. Carty
From: Hezekiah M. Carty @ 2016-10-31 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Gazagnaire; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:25 PM Thomas Gazagnaire <thomas@gazagnaire.org>
wrote:

> > I understand that packages can be pinned locally using each package’s
> Git repo and this would work if each package also includes its opam files.
> I am looking for a way to populate the cache with the tar/zip files that
> the Opam packages point to.
>
> There are various ways to do it, the easiest one would be to use
> `opam-admin`:
>
> ```
> $ git clone https://github.com/ocaml/opam-repository
> $ cd opam-repository
> $ opam-admin make --resolve [an optional list of packages to limit the
> size of the cache]
> $ opam remote add local-cache .
> ```

Is there an existing automated tool to do the same for compilers?  Or just
download the source + edit the compilers/*/*/*.comp files by hand/script?

This will, I suspect, be simpler with opam 2.0 and compilers-as-packages.

Thanks,

Hez

* Re: [Caml-list] Running an Opam Cache?
@ 2016-11-01 20:21     ` Thomas Gazagnaire
From: Thomas Gazagnaire @ 2016-11-01 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hezekiah M. Carty; +Cc: caml-list

> Is there an existing automated tool to do the same for compilers?  Or just download the source + edit the compilers/*/*/*.comp files by hand/script?

Unfortunately you indeed have to manually modify the .comp file.

> This will, I suspect, be simpler with opam 2.0 and compilers-as-packages.

Yes.

Best,
Thomas