* [Caml-list] findlib + depencencies
@ 2002-06-14  4:30 Christian H. Stork
From: Christian H. Stork @ 2002-06-14  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Hi,

I'm new to OCaml.  So please forgive me if I miss something obvious.

Here's my simple question:  Is there a tool out there (or maybe, why
isn't there) that allows me to type

    ocamlfind+dep source-depending-on-pkg-P.ml

and that extracts the information that package P is used and provides
the necessary information to ocamlfind, which in turn calls the
compiler.  As far as I can tell ocamldep does not provide for an easy
way to interact in such a fashion with ocamlfind.

Any hints welcome,
Chris

--
Chris Stork (PhD student at UC Irvine)  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cstork/
OpenPGP fingerprint: B08B 602C C806 C492 D069  021E 41F3 8C8D 50F9 CA2F

* Re: [Caml-list] findlib + depencencies
@ 2002-06-14  8:53 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2002-06-14  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:30:33PM -0700, Christian H. Stork wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to OCaml.  So please forgive me if I miss something obvious.
>
> Here's my simple question:  Is there a tool out there (or maybe, why
> isn't there) that allows me to type
>
>     ocamlfind+dep source-depending-on-pkg-P.ml
>
> and that extracts the information that package P is used and provides
> the necessary information to ocamlfind, which in turn calls the
> compiler.  As far as I can tell ocamldep does not provide for an easy
> way to interact in such a fashion with ocamlfind.

My understanding of this is that you would need to hand write the META
files, and use that, i don't think there is an automated tool, and i
also don't really think it is easily possible to write one given the
current state of things, since the info about what library provides
which module is not available easily in the .ml file. (this is exactly
what the META files are all about, if i understood this thing correctly,
but then, i don't use findlib myself).

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] findlib + depencencies
@ 2002-06-14 13:31   ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2002-06-14 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 10:53:26AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> My understanding of this is that you would need to hand write the META
> files, and use that, i don't think there is an automated tool, and i

Well, there exists an aproximation: "ocamlfind guess" try to guess a
META file for a library that is to be installed.

Anyway, the problem reported by Christian is more subtle: he needs a
mapping between modules used in sources (as reported by ocamldep) and
findlib modules.
AFAIK there is no such a tool and even if it will be available it can
only be an aproximation, obviously.

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy