* [Caml-list] Fix offered for "illegal stream concatenation" in Stream
@ 2002-07-31 14:22 Tim Freeman
From: Tim Freeman @ 2002-07-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-bugs

The documentation in Stream.mli says:

   Warning: these functions create streams with fast access; it is illegal
   to mix them with streams built with [[< >]]; would raise [Failure]
   when accessing such mixed streams.

As an example of this, the following code fails:

   open Stream;;
   npeek 20 (iapp (of_string "as") (icons 'z' (of_list ['d'; 'f'])));;

(This is an artificial example.  The actual example that motivated me
has since been replaced by a workaround, so I don't have it
conveniently available.)

The resolution of bug 235 at

   http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs/not%20a%20bug?id=235;user=guest;selectid=235

reaffirms that this behavior is considered acceptable, but it doesn't make
sense to regard throwing an exception as better than computing a useful result.
I found it frustrating that the compiler wouldn't help me predict when a stream
operation would fail with the "illegal stream concatenation" error, so I
rewrote stream.ml so all streams are valid inputs to all stream operations that
take streams as arguments.

I plugged it into the ocaml source from anonymous CVS and the compiler
was able to bootstrap fine.  It also passes a fairly thorough unit
test that's in the comments at the end, and it has reasonable
performance according to the benchmark at the end of the test cases.

Is there any interest in incorporating this changed code into OCAML?

The revised .ml file is at

   http://www.fungible.com/stream_fixed.ml

and the .mli file (which is identical to the old version, except for a few
comments) is at

   http://www.fungible.com/stream_fixed.mli

As indicated by the header at the beginning of stream_fixed.ml, I'm happy to
assign copyright on the rewritten file to INRIA if it gets incorporated into
OCAML.

--
Tim Freeman
tim@fungible.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-07-31 15:05 UTC | newest]