* [Caml-list] incredibly dumb beginner's question about modules
@ 2002-08-04  0:38 Michael Vanier
From: Michael Vanier @ 2002-08-04  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I would post this to the caml-beginners mailing list but I can't find it
:-(

I'm just getting started with ocaml modules and I've run into a
ridiculously trivial problem that I can't solve.  Consider this file:

(* test.ml *)
module Foo =
  struct
    type foo = int array array
    let make_foo () = Array.make_matrix 8 8 0
  end
(* end of test.ml *)

I compile this with "ocamlc -c test.ml".  No problems so far.  Then I open
an interactive toplevel:

# open Test;;
# Foo.make_foo ();;
Reference to undefined global `Test'
#

What's going on?  What am I not doing that I should be doing?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

* Re: [Caml-list] incredibly dumb beginner's question about modules
@ 2002-08-04 23:39 ` Chris Hecker
From: Chris Hecker @ 2002-08-04 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Vanier, caml-list

># open Test;;
># Foo.make_foo ();;
>Reference to undefined global `Test'
>#

You need to #load or #use the cmo...#load I think.

Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] incredibly dumb beginner's question about modules
@ 2002-08-05  1:38 ` William Lovas
From: William Lovas @ 2002-08-05  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 05:38:22PM -0700, Michael Vanier wrote:
> I compile this with "ocamlc -c test.ml".  No problems so far.  Then I open
> an interactive toplevel:
>
> # open Test;;
> # Foo.make_foo ();;
> Reference to undefined global `Test'
> #
>
> What's going on?  What am I not doing that I should be doing?

Mike,

I think you want to be doing something like:

    # #load "test.cmo"

first.  This loads the bytecode file into the top-level -- it's sort of
like making a new one with ocamlmktop, without the hassle.  And it gives
you an environment similar to the one you'll have when you're linking
test.cmo with other .cmo files.

Check the manual for more info, Chapter 9:

    http://caml.inria.fr/ocaml/htmlman/manual023.html

cheers,
William