* [Caml-list] malfunctioning -o command-line argument?
@ 2003-02-03  1:04 Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2003-02-03  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

List,
   I don't know how I haven't noticed this behavior before, but it seems
like the -o command-line argument for ocamlc/ocamlopt does not work in all
cases.
For example, if  foo.ml is a file then:
      ocamlc -c foo.ml -o /tmp/foo.cmo
will create foo.cmo in the current directory rather then /tmp.
This is also the case for .mli files. Furthermore, if I compile an .mli
file, move the .cmi file to /tmp, and compile the .ml like this:
      ocamlc -c foo.mli
      mv foo.cmi  /tmp
      ocamlc -I /tmp -c foo.ml
Then ocamlc will not be able to find foo.cmi.

Is this a bug or a feature?

For what I'm doing right now (multi-achitecture compilation support) I'd
really like this to work.

      Ohad.

* Re: [Caml-list] malfunctioning -o command-line argument?
@ 2003-02-03  1:24 ` Nicolas George
From: Nicolas George @ 2003-02-03  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Le quintidi 15 pluviôse, an CCXI, Ohad Rodeh a écrit :
>       ocamlc -c foo.ml -o /tmp/foo.cmo
> will create foo.cmo in the current directory rather then /tmp.

> Is this a bug or a feature?

According to the man page, it is a feature:

       -o exec-file
              Specify the name of the output file produced by the linker.

It works for the linker, but not for the compiler.

* Re: [Caml-list] malfunctioning -o command-line argument?
@ 2003-02-03  1:32   ` Ohad Rodeh
From: Ohad Rodeh @ 2003-02-03  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas George

Alright then, can we make this a feature request?

      Ohad.

Ohad Rodeh
tel: +972-3-6401641
IBM Haifa, storage research

|---------+--------------------------------->
|         |           Nicolas George        |
|         |           <nicolas.george@ens.fr|
|         |           >                     |
|         |           Sent by:              |
|         |           owner-caml-list@pauill|
|         |           ac.inria.fr           |
|         |                                 |
|         |                                 |
|         |           02/02/03 17:24        |
|---------+--------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       caml-list@inria.fr                                                                                                               |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Caml-list] malfunctioning -o command-line argument?                                                                         |

@ 2003-02-03 13:59   ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2003-02-03 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas George; +Cc: caml-list

>  Le quintidi 15 pluviôse, an CCXI, Ohad Rodeh a écrit :
>  >       ocamlc -c foo.ml -o /tmp/foo.cmo
>  > will create foo.cmo in the current directory rather then /tmp.

Arguments are treated in the order they are read: here, foo.ml is
compiled before, and the -o option is added after. Fix:

ocamlc -c -o /tmp/foo.cmo foo.ml

- Fabrice

* Re: [Caml-list] malfunctioning -o command-line argument?
@ 2003-02-06  8:14     ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2003-02-06  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:59:16PM +0100, Fabrice Le Fessant wrote:
> Arguments are treated in the order they are read: here, foo.ml is
> compiled before, and the -o option is added after. Fix:
>
> ocamlc -c -o /tmp/foo.cmo foo.ml

This doesn't work for me, are you sure?

   ~$ cat a.ml
   prerr_endline "a";;