* [Caml-list] Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?
@ 2003-02-09  0:15 Alessandro Baretta
From: Alessandro Baretta @ 2003-02-09  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ocaml

I am wondering whether the Ocaml team has any idea about the
next release date. Any ideas?

Alex

* Re: [Caml-list] Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?
@ 2003-02-13 14:56 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-02-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Baretta; +Cc: Ocaml

> I am wondering whether the Ocaml team has any idea about the
> next release date. Any ideas?

Certainly not before late April, and hopefully no later than early July.
I can't be any more precise than this at the moment.

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?
@ 2003-02-13 16:13   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: Alessandro Baretta, Ocaml

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 03:56:37PM +0100, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> > I am wondering whether the Ocaml team has any idea about the
> > next release date. Any ideas?
>
> Certainly not before late April, and hopefully no later than early July.
> I can't be any more precise than this at the moment.

Mmm, do you have any idea of the feature set included in 3.07 ? Are they
mostly all already in the CVS version, and will there be things which
may break with regard to 3.06 or incompatible changes. I would hope that
the next debian version ships with 3.07, but this may be too just if
3.07 is released in early july. But then, debian releases are never a
fixed things, and even 3.08 may come out being in time for it.

BTW, What do you think about changing ocamlrun to be ocamlrun-<version>,
so that when we upgrade from one version to the next, bytecode
executables built for the previous version will not try running with the
new version, which is not guaranteed to work. But if we embed the
version number in the ocamlrun name, then we can just keep the old
ocamlrun and its libraries around, and still run older bytecode
packages.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* [Caml-list] ocamlrun-<version> [was : Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?]
@ 2003-02-14 10:00     ` Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2003-02-14 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

Sven Luther writes:
   BTW, What do you think about changing ocamlrun to be ocamlrun-<version>,
   so that when we upgrade from one version to the next, bytecode

IMHO, the problem is that you install every ocaml in the same
place, in /usr/bin.

I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own
directory, 3.04 is in /usr/local/ocaml-3.04 and so on. The latest
version has symbolic links from /usr/local/bin. This way I never
have problems with incompatible bytecode executables.

Bye,

Hendrik

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlrun-<version> [was : Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?]
@ 2003-02-14 10:17       ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-14 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 11:00:28AM +0100, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> Sven Luther writes:
>    BTW, What do you think about changing ocamlrun to be ocamlrun-<version>,
>    so that when we upgrade from one version to the next, bytecode
>
> IMHO, the problem is that you install every ocaml in the same
> place, in/usr/bin.
>
> I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
> admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own

Your loss, ...

BTW, why don't you use the packages ?

> directory, 3.04 is in /usr/local/ocaml-3.04 and so on. The latest
> version has symbolic links from /usr/local/bin. This way I never
> have problems with incompatible bytecode executables.

Well, we could be using alternatives or diversions, but i think it is
not worth it. I believe that having only ocamlrun with the appended
version should be enough for running older bytecode executables. That
and the dll.so files, naturally.

That said, you are aware that a bytecode executable built on your system
will not run on another system with ocamlrun placed in different place.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlrun-<version> [was : Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?]
@ 2003-02-17 10:27         ` Hendrik Tews
From: Hendrik Tews @ 2003-02-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sven Luther writes:

   > I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
   > admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own

   BTW, why don't you use the packages ?

Because they are years behind. Until last week I had
Debian/Potato. It comes with Ocaml 2.04 from November 1999! Now I
upgraded to unstable (which is enough bleeding edge for me) and
there I find 3.04 from December 2001.

   That said, you are aware that a bytecode executable built on your system
   will not run on another system with ocamlrun placed in different place.

Yes. But this applies to the ocaml packages in the same way. I
don't know any system administrator how would install ocaml under
/usr/bin.

@ 2003-02-17 10:45           ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-17 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendrik Tews; +Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:27:58AM +0100, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> Sven Luther writes:
>
>    > I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
>    > admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own
>
>    BTW, why don't you use the packages ?
>
> Because they are years behind. Until last week I had
> Debian/Potato. It comes with Ocaml 2.04 from November 1999! Now I
> upgraded to unstable (which is enough bleeding edge for me) and
> there I find 3.04 from December 2001.

That can't be, you upgraded to either woody or testing. unstable has
3.06, and the only reason it hasn't entered testing yet, is because it
was built with glibc 2.3.1, which is not (yet) ready for testing.

Stefano announced woody backport of the debian/unstable packages on this
list on September 22. These should work for either testing or woody. here
is the apt source he posted :

deb http://people.debian.org/~zack/ocaml unstable main contrib non-free

Just add it to your /etc/apt/sources.list before the standard sources,
and you should get all the ocaml 3.06 stuff.

I don't really know if a similar potato backport would be possible, it
would be a pain to maintain, and potato is really old as you may have
noticed, but i think maybe Georges Mariano did something such. If in
doubt, you can always try building the debian packages yourself, apt-get
source -b should allow you to do that.

Finally, you can try installing unstable stuff on a woody/testing box
with :

apt-get install -t unstable ocaml

but i guess this will pull in the new libc and tons of other stuff.

In conclusion, if you really run woody or testing, use Stefano's
backports, if you run potato, upgrade to woody, if you run unstable,
something is really wrong, since you should have the latest packages.

>    That said, you are aware that a bytecode executable built on your system
>    will not run on another system with ocamlrun placed in different place.
>
> Yes. But this applies to the ocaml packages in the same way. I
> don't know any system administrator how would install ocaml under
> /usr/bin.

Yes, this is a bit of a problem, i think.

Not sure, but it is always possible to run ocamlrun on it yourself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlrun-<version> [was : Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?]
@ 2003-02-17 16:36             ` Michal Moskal
From: Michal Moskal @ 2003-02-17 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sven Luther; +Cc: Hendrik Tews, caml-list

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:45:59AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:27:58AM +0100, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> > Sven Luther writes:
> >
> >    > I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
> >    > admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own
> >
> >    BTW, why don't you use the packages ?
> >
> > Because they are years behind. Until last week I had
> > Debian/Potato. It comes with Ocaml 2.04 from November 1999! Now I
> > upgraded to unstable (which is enough bleeding edge for me) and
> > there I find 3.04 from December 2001.
>
> That can't be, you upgraded to either woody or testing. unstable has
> 3.06, and the only reason it hasn't entered testing yet, is because it
> was built with glibc 2.3.1, which is not (yet) ready for testing.
>
> Stefano announced woody backport of the debian/unstable packages on this
> list on September 22. These should work for either testing or woody.

I belive trying to link programs (one of bytecode or native, I don't
remember which) using ocaml compiled with old glibc on system running
new glibc will cause undefined reference to __c_type_something, at least
on my PLD box. So this backport is probably not going to work with
testing.

--
: Michal Moskal ::::: malekith/at/pld-linux.org :  GCS {C,UL}++++$ a? !tv
: PLD Linux ::::::: Wroclaw University, CS Dept :  {E-,w}-- {b++,e}>+++ h

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamlrun-<version> [was : Any idea about Ocaml 3.07 release date?]
@ 2003-02-17 17:07               ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Moskal; +Cc: Sven Luther, Hendrik Tews, caml-list

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 05:36:18PM +0100, Michal Moskal wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:45:59AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:27:58AM +0100, Hendrik Tews wrote:
> > > Sven Luther writes:
> > >
> > >    > I use Debian, but I never install the ocaml packages (sorry to
> > >    > admit that). Instead I install every ocaml version in its own
> > >
> > >    BTW, why don't you use the packages ?
> > >
> > > Because they are years behind. Until last week I had
> > > Debian/Potato. It comes with Ocaml 2.04 from November 1999! Now I
> > > upgraded to unstable (which is enough bleeding edge for me) and
> > > there I find 3.04 from December 2001.
> >
> > That can't be, you upgraded to either woody or testing. unstable has
> > 3.06, and the only reason it hasn't entered testing yet, is because it
> > was built with glibc 2.3.1, which is not (yet) ready for testing.
> >
> > Stefano announced woody backport of the debian/unstable packages on this
> > list on September 22. These should work for either testing or woody.
>
> I belive trying to link programs (one of bytecode or native, I don't
> remember which) using ocaml compiled with old glibc on system running
> new glibc will cause undefined reference to __c_type_something, at least
> on my PLD box. So this backport is probably not going to work with
> testing.

Yes, sure, i was hit by this problem also in september, when the new
glibc hit unstable.

However, woody and testing have the same glibc, the new glibc is
currently only available in unstable, that is way there is no problem
using the woody backport on testing. If it were not so, you could use
the unstable packages on testing without problems.

Friendly,

Sven Luther