* [Caml-list] aix51 native-code assembly problem
@ 2003-02-19 13:55 Ward Wheeler
From: Ward Wheeler @ 2003-02-19 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Kimmo Mattila

Hello,
	A colleague is trying to compile an application (mostly OCAML, a little C)
for the aix51 operating system and get's the following error when making
native (bytecode compiles fine).  Has anyone seen this?  Anyone know of a fix?
Thanks,
Ward Wheeler

(make poy
.
.
.
/tmp/biosci/camlasm2b4f35.s:159321: Error: relocation overflow
/tmp/biosci/camlasm2b4f35.s:159325: Error: relocation overflow
Assembler error, input left in file /tmp/biosci/camlasm2b4f35.s
make: The error code from the last command is 2.
)

* Re: [Caml-list] aix51 native-code assembly problem
@ 2003-02-19 16:21 ` Brian Hurt
From: Brian Hurt @ 2003-02-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's been forever since I've played on the Power Architecture.  But IIRC,
the Power/PowerPC architecture conditional branchs have a maximum range of
like 64K (IIRC).  For conditional branchs longer than that, you need to
branch over an unconditional branch (which jumps a lot farther).  This
looks to be what you are hitting.

Brian

@ 2003-02-19 18:41 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-02-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ward Wheeler; +Cc: caml-list, Kimmo Mattila

> 	A colleague is trying to compile an application (mostly OCAML,
> a little C) for the aix51 operating system and get's the following
> error when making native (bytecode compiles fine).  Has anyone seen
> this?  Anyone know of a fix?

This is a known issue with the PowerPC code generator of ocamlopt,
however it should normally be fixed in OCaml version 3.06.
If you're not using 3.06, I suggest an upgrade.  If you are already
using 3.06, I'd be interested in obtaining the sources in order to
reproduce the problem.  (Please send them to me directly.)

- Xavier Leroy