* [Caml-list] OCaml User Base
@ 2003-02-27 10:35 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2003-02-27 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

is there an estimation about the number of Ocaml-users?

How many downloads of Ocaml-Distributions wil be done?
And is it possible to estimate the number of programmers,
who are using Ocaml from this number of downloads?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml User Base
@ 2003-02-27 11:26 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:35:19AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there an estimation about the number of Ocaml-users?

It is a difficult task. What about doing a survey, something web based
where you can tell about your ocaml usage, and which would generate a
daily statistic page or something such based on that data. We had
something such for calculating usage of linux/m68k back in those days.

The ocaml documentation would strongly suggest that people register
there or something such.

> How many downloads of Ocaml-Distributions wil be done?

That would miss all the people getting ocaml from other sources, like
distributions, CD included in ocaml books, etc.

As for debian, we have no way to know how many people download our
packages, what with our extensive mirror network. That said, there is
the popularity-contest package, which gathers info on your system's
installed debian packages and send them weekly in addition of helping
detecting unused packages. Result are shown in :

http://people.debian.org/~apenwarr//popcon/

but not everyone takes part of this survey, and it may cause security
concerns for some or something such.

> And is it possible to estimate the number of programmers,
> who are using Ocaml from this number of downloads?

I think not, what about the publication numbers of the ocaml books ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml User Base
@ 2003-02-27 11:30 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-02-27 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Bandel; +Cc: caml-list

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:35:19AM +0100, Oliver Bandel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there an estimation about the number of Ocaml-users?
>
> How many downloads of Ocaml-Distributions wil be done?
> And is it possible to estimate the number of programmers,
> who are using Ocaml from this number of downloads?

BTW, popularity-contest for ocaml is :

Package               Vote   Old Recent Unknown

ocaml-base (runtime only) :

ocaml-base              45    70    24     0

ocaml :

ocaml                   33    47    18     0

Some comparison :

gcc                    490   188   211     1
jikes                   53    94    22     0
guile1.4-slib           47   184    26     0

ocaml packages are in the devel section.

Friendly,

Sven Luther