* [Caml-list] Learning Ocaml a book is a closed item; is manual under FDL???
@ 2003-03-14 12:52 Stalkern 2
From: Stalkern 2 @ 2003-03-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello to everybody.
I'd like to say a word about the recent thread about "a good introductory
OCaml book", yet I'm starting a new thread because I don't agree about the
idea that introduction to Ocaml shall pass through a book.

Personally, I landed on Ocaml with no programming experience other than PHP;
no math background; the age of 29.

I got the O'reilly book in french and felt the lack of a ocaml-beginners'
list; I asked Xavier Leroy for his agreement and an ocaml-beginners' list
could start.

Still now, I think that only the ocamlers can promote Ocaml. In my opinion,
today it is so easy to set up a users' contributed site (see for instance
http://www.spip.org) that it is not only old-fashioned, but also harmful to
think about "closed" books.

What am I thinking about?
	1) take the ocaml manual
	2) put it in a SPIP, one article per page
	3) let users contribute for each page, like you can see here:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php

Why don't I do that? I've not done that YET.

Let me know your advice. BTW, I plan to start mirroring a copy of the manual.
What is the license for the manual? is it FDL?

Ernesto

* Re: [Caml-list] Learning Ocaml a book is a closed item; is manual under FDL???
@ 2003-03-16 14:17   ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-03-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stalkern 2; +Cc: caml-list, Damien Doligez

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 03:01:55PM +0100, Stalkern 2 wrote:
> Il  Sunday 16 March 2003 14:12, Mattias Waldau ha scritto:
> > I think the following is a very good idea.
> >
> > > What am I thinking about?
> > > 	1) take the ocaml manual
> > > 	2) put it in a SPIP, one article per page
> > > 	3) let users contribute for each page, like you can see here:
> > > http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php
>

> I only have to know whether the manual is under the Free Documentation
> License. If anybody knows that, please tell me.

I sincerely doubt it, the debian ocaml-doc package is in the non-free
section, and the copyright file says :

The present documentation is copyright © 2001 Institut National de
Recherche
en Informatique et en Automatique (INRIA). The Objective Caml
documentation
and user's manual may be reproduced and distributed in whole or in part,
subject to the following conditions:

    * The copyright notice above and this permission notice must be
      preserved complete on all complete or partial copies.
    * Any translation or derivative work of the Objective Caml documentation
      and user's manual must be approved by the authors in writing before
      distribution.
    * If you distribute the Objective Caml documentation and user's manual
      in part, instructions for obtaining the complete version of this manual
      must be included, and a means for obtaining a complete version provided.
    * Small portions may be reproduced as illustrations for reviews or quotes
      in other works without this permission notice if proper citation is given.

So, i guess you need permission from the authors for your project.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] Learning Ocaml a book is a closed item; is manual under FDL???
       [not found] <06a901c2ebbd$b5998a40$0a00a8c0@gateway>
@ 2003-03-16 14:01 ` Stalkern 2
From: Stalkern 2 @ 2003-03-16 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Damien Doligez