* [Caml-list] polymorphic modules in classes
@ 2003-04-15 11:12 Axel Simon
From: Axel Simon @ 2003-04-15 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I would like to use a Hashtbl which is polymorphic in its elements. The
elements should by compared by physical equality so I cannot use the
"generic interface". My goal is to create a hash table over the type 'a
which maps to int. I wrote:

module H = Hashtbl;;

module PhysEq : H.HashedType = struct
  type t
  let equal = (==)
  let hash  = H.hash
end;;

module PhysHashtbl : H.S = H.Make(PhysEq);;

class ['a] bulkWriter ((fname, wr) : string * (out_channel -> 'a -> unit))
=
  let outCh = open_out_bin fname
  and stored   : (a' PhysHashtbl.t) = (PhysHashtbl.create 100)
  in object
  (* something here *)
end

When I compile, I get "Unbound type constructor a'" for the line which
introduces stored, although it works with int. I guess there are many
other problems with my solution: PhysEq.t is abstract and PhysHashtbl.key
is not bound to any type. How do I solve all this?

I am really new to OCaml and I couldn't make sense of the tutorials and
other messages posted on this list.

Any help appreciated,
Axel.