* [Caml-list] cross compilation
@ 2003-04-15 19:18 Andy Chou
From: Andy Chou @ 2003-04-15 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: acc, caml-bugs

Is there any support for cross-compilation for the native code compiler?
Interpretation simply won't cut it for the application I'm working with.

The native code compiler can generate code for many different
architectures, and it appears that most of the codegen is written in
O'Caml itself.  gcc has support for cross-compilation/linking.  Putting
these together, virtually all of the work has been done.  Is there
anything to it other than properly structuring the configuration and
build?

-Andy

* Re: [Caml-list] cross compilation
@ 2003-04-16 19:21 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-04-16 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Chou; +Cc: caml-list

> Is there any support for cross-compilation for the native code compiler?
> Interpretation simply won't cut it for the application I'm working with.
>
> The native code compiler can generate code for many different
> architectures, and it appears that most of the codegen is written in
> O'Caml itself.  gcc has support for cross-compilation/linking.  Putting
> these together, virtually all of the work has been done.  Is there
> anything to it other than properly structuring the configuration and
> build?

I believe "properly structuring the configuration and build" should
suffice to get ocamlopt to cross-compile, however this is probably not
trivial.

Christian Gillot did a cross-compiler for the ARM, see
        http://www.neo-rousseaux.org/cgillot/en/ocamlhacks.html
but he didn't detail the build process...

- Xavier Leroy