* [Caml-list] Compiling Native on 64-bit AIX
@ 2003-04-11 23:22 Anthony Hackner
From: Anthony Hackner @ 2003-04-11 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Is native Ocaml supported for 64-bit PowerPC on AIX?  The assembler fails
for asmrun/power-aix.S when OBJECT_MODE is set to 64:

as -u -m ppc -w -o power-aix.o power-aix.S || \
{ echo "If your assembler produced syntax errors, it is probably unhappy
with th
e"; echo "preprocessor. Check your assembler, or try producing power-aix.o
by ha
nd."; exit 2; }
Assembler:
power-aix.S: line 483: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 488: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 493: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 498: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 503: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 508: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.
power-aix.S: line 513: Only .llong should be used for relocatable
expressions.

Will forcing the assembler to run in 32-bit mode using -a32 mess anything
up?  I actually need to use more than 4GB of memory.

Thanks,

Anthony

* Re: [Caml-list] Compiling Native on 64-bit AIX
@ 2003-04-16 19:55 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-04-16 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Hackner; +Cc: caml-list

> Is native Ocaml supported for 64-bit PowerPC on AIX?

No, it's not.  Only 32-bit PPC is currently supported.

> The assembler fails
> for asmrun/power-aix.S when OBJECT_MODE is set to 64:
> Will forcing the assembler to run in 32-bit mode using -a32 mess anything
> up?

You'll get the same problem with the asm code generated by ocamlopt.
And I'm afraid that if you compile everything in 32-bit mode, you'll
end up with a 32-bit program that can only access the low 4G of memory.

> I actually need to use more than 4GB of memory.

Currently, your only options are to use an Alpha or an Itanium.

- Xavier Leroy