* [Caml-list] building OCaml on SCO UnixWare 7.01 system (problems)
@ 2003-05-28 23:19 Shane Y. Gibson
From: Shane Y. Gibson @ 2003-05-28 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I'm not much of a programmer, but I need to port OCaml to SCO UnixWare
7.01  system, so I can build and run the Unison package, which utilizes
OCaml.

During the compilation process (with both GCC 2.95 and the SCO
Development System CC compiler), I get the following errors:

         gcc -I../../byterun -O -fno-defer-pop -Wall -Wno-unused
  	    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -g -c scheduler.c
	scheduler.c:97: conflicting types for `thread_t'
	/usr/include/sys/types.h:305: previous declaration of `thread_t'
	*** Error code 1 (bu21)
	UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.

The 'thread_t' declaration in types.h reads:

	#ifndef _THREAD_T
	#define _THREAD_T
	typedef id_t    thread_t;      /* thread id type       */
	#endif

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I suspect it's a fairly simple fix
in terms of how the 'thread_t' type is being called, vs. how the include
file is defining how it should be called?

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would greatly appreciate any
input.  This is version 3.04 of OCaml that I'm trying to build. Please
respond with me in the TO or CC field, as I'm not a regular subscriber
to the email list.  Thank you.

v/r
Shane

--
"Beyond the very extremity of fatigue and distress we may
find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves

* Re: [Caml-list] building OCaml on SCO UnixWare 7.01 system (problems)
@ 2003-05-29  6:21 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-05-29  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Y. Gibson; +Cc: caml-list

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:19:35PM -0700, Shane Y. Gibson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not much of a programmer, but I need to port OCaml to SCO UnixWare
> 7.01  system, so I can build and run the Unison package, which utilizes
> OCaml.

Just reinstall the box with any other possible system, SCO is out there
to screw the whole open source community, probably being paid by
microsoft, and will not survive their lawsuit against IBM anyway, so any
effort done on working with UnixWare is better spent upgrading to
another OS.

Friendly,

Sven Luther

* Re: [Caml-list] building OCaml on SCO UnixWare 7.01 system (problems)
@ 2003-06-01 16:10 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-06-01 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shane Y. Gibson; +Cc: caml-list

> During the compilation process (with both GCC 2.95 and the SCO
> Development System CC compiler), I get the following errors:
>
>          gcc -I../../byterun -O -fno-defer-pop -Wall -Wno-unused
>   	    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -g -c scheduler.c
> 	scheduler.c:97: conflicting types for `thread_t'
> 	/usr/include/sys/types.h:305: previous declaration of `thread_t'
> 	*** Error code 1 (bu21)
> 	UX:make: ERROR: fatal error.

That's a "namespace pollution" error: the system's include files
define things that they should not according to a number of recent
Unix standards such as SUS and Unix98.  (I must resist making an SCO joke at
that point.)

A trick that may work (it was helpful to work around a similar problem
on AIX) is to specify "-D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500":

        ./configure -cc "cc -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500"

There might be a manual page explaining those standard conformance
directives; on Solaris and Digital Unix, it's standards(5).

Hope this helps,

- Xavier Leroy