* [Caml-list] module type and record
       [not found] <65D56CA3-9FDA-11D7-813D-000A95764898@ens-lyon.fr>
@ 2003-06-16  9:59 ` efiliot
From: efiliot @ 2003-06-16  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

hello,
I need to declare a record type in a field like :

module A : ( MY_TYPE with type t = { label1 : int ; label2 : string } ) =
struct
end

but the compiler seems to refuse this declaration.

Could you give me a solution for this problem ?

Thank You,

Emmanuel Filiot

* Re: [Caml-list] module type and record
@ 2003-06-16 15:08   ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-06-16 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: efiliot; +Cc: caml-list

> hello,
> I need to declare a record type in a field like :
>
> module A : ( MY_TYPE with type t = { label1 : int ; label2 : string } ) =
> struct
> end
>
> but the compiler seems to refuse this declaration.

Currently, only type abbreviations can be added with the "with type"
construct:  MODTYPE with type t = some_type_expression.

This restriction is somewhat artificial and I'm considering lifting it.

> Could you give me a solution for this problem ?

Currently, you need to expand "MY_TYPE with..." by hand into

        sig
          type t = { label1 : int ; label2 : string }
          (* other elements of signature MY_TYPE
        end

An alternative is to declare the record type separately:

        type my_rec = { label1 : int ; label2 : string }

        module A : (MY_TYPE with type t = my_rec) = ...

- Xavier Leroy