* [Caml-list] Generating module lists automatically
@ 2003-08-18 19:02 Yaron Minsky
From: Yaron Minsky @ 2003-08-18 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Does anyone have a reasonable solution to the problem of automatically
generating dependencies and topologically sorted module lists for
executables?  omake seems to do a good job for managing dependencies
between automatically, but I don't see any good way of generating a
topologically sorted list of names automatically within omake.  Camlmake
(http://www.davidb.org/camlmake/) seems to be the right kind of thing, but
does not appear to be maintained anymore.  I'm wondering if there are any
other good options out there.

* Re: [Caml-list] Generating module lists automatically
@ 2003-08-18 19:35 ` Maxence Guesdon
From: Maxence Guesdon @ 2003-08-18 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaron Minsky; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

> Does anyone have a reasonable solution to the problem of automatically
> generating dependencies and topologically sorted module lists for
> executables?  omake seems to do a good job for managing dependencies
> between automatically, but I don't see any good way of generating a
> topologically sorted list of names automatically within omake.  Camlmake
> (http://www.davidb.org/camlmake/) seems to be the right kind of thing, but
> does not appear to be maintained anymore.  I'm wondering if there are any
> other good options out there.

Have a look at ocamldsort:
http://www.eleves.ens.fr/home/ara/ocaml.html

Regards,

--
Maxence Guesdon

* Re: [Caml-list] Generating module lists automatically
@ 2003-08-18 20:36 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-08-18 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: caml-list

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 03:02:45PM -0400, Yaron Minsky wrote:
> Does anyone have a reasonable solution to the problem of automatically
> generating dependencies and topologically sorted module lists for
> executables?  omake seems to do a good job for managing dependencies
> between automatically, but I don't see any good way of generating a
> topologically sorted list of names automatically within omake.  Camlmake
> (http://www.davidb.org/camlmake/) seems to be the right kind of thing, but
> does not appear to be maintained anymore.  I'm wondering if there are any
> other good options out there.

I may be missing the point of your email, but FWIW this is what I'm
using in my Makefiles now:

dep:    .depend
depend: .depend

.depend:
        rm -f .depend
        ocamldep $(OCAMLCINCS) *.mli *.ml > $@

ifeq ($(wildcard .depend),.depend)
include .depend
endif

.PHONY: dep depend

My object files are already sorted (by hand) so linking just works.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/ - all your business data are belong to you.