* [Caml-list] Ocaml Graph manipulation algorithms & library
@ 2003-09-03  1:53 Normand Leclerc
From: Normand Leclerc @ 2003-09-03  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: ark

Hi, I spotted your message on the Ocaml list.

Ocaml seems a nice functional language and
I once hoped for libraries ready to do graph drawing.
May be you can implement in Ocaml something like :

The only mixed functional (functional, declarative and rule
based) language I know that has nice graph drawing algorithms
developed for it is the venerable combinatorica by
dr. Steven Skienna in Wolfram's Mathematica.
Coming later in 2003 a book about it.  But for only an amateur
like me the yearly fee of the mathematica platform is way too much.
See www.combinatorica.com.

For algorithms see in C++ the renowned Boost library (boost.org)
(see CUJ.com for an old article  presenting it)

For storing the graph description there is XGMML
(eXtensible Graph Markup and Modeling Schema)XML :
http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~puninj/XGMML/, and
the GML file format :
http://www.infosun.fmi.uni-passau.de/Graphlet/GML/

You will find graph libraries also in Tcl,
and in C++ born from tcl libraries see e4graph on sourceforge :
http://www.e4graph.com/e4graph/index.html,

For graph visualization there is AT&T Graphviz with a C lang.
developer's api :
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

See also Petra Mutzel for graph drawing algorithms :
http://www.ads.tuwien.ac.at/AGD/

There is also a project with a book from Springer in
Python but I don't remember it.

Hope it may help.  Don't forget to comeback to the list with your niceties...
--
N.L.

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml Graph manipulation algorithms & library
@ 2003-09-03 10:44 ` Eray Ozkural
From: Eray Ozkural @ 2003-09-03 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Normand Leclerc, caml-list; +Cc: ark

Or you can do away with the lame C++ language and use ocaml. Please look at
the list archives for the example of an imperative graph module I posted.

You could also implement a functional "map" but I don't think you would be
happy writing an algorithm like subgraph isomorphism with such a thing...
Look at the caml humps there is such a functional graph impl. there.

As for drawing, you'll prolly have to stick with one of the free graph drawing
tools.

Cheers,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>