* [Caml-list] OCamlRun -D?
@ 2003-09-09  8:24 Jim Farrand
From: Jim Farrand @ 2003-09-09  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sorry to those who have seen this, already, I asked on the beginners list with no reply.

How can I use the ocaml debugger to debug a program that uses ncurses?
I can't run the program from inside the debugger as the mixture of
ncurses output from my program, and the non-ncurses output from the
debugger produces garbage.

The manual seems to hint that I can run the program, and then run the
debugger externally (on a different virtual terminal), and then connect
the debugger to the program.  The key to this is passing the -D <socket>
parameter to ocamlrun, as mentioned in section 16.8.6 of the manual.
Except that ocamlrun does not recognise the -D parameter.  :(

Thanks in advance,
Jim

--
Jim Farrand
--

* Re: [Caml-list] OCamlRun -D?
@ 2003-09-09 15:58 ` Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-09-09 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Farrand; +Cc: caml-list

> How can I use the ocaml debugger to debug a program that uses ncurses?
> I can't run the program from inside the debugger as the mixture of
> ncurses output from my program, and the non-ncurses output from the
> debugger produces garbage.
>
> The manual seems to hint that I can run the program, and then run the
> debugger externally (on a different virtual terminal), and then connect
> the debugger to the program.  The key to this is passing the -D <socket>
> parameter to ocamlrun, as mentioned in section 16.8.6 of the manual.
> Except that ocamlrun does not recognise the -D parameter.  :(

Yes, the manual is outdated and will be fixed.  You can achieve the
desired effect by setting the CAML_DEBUG_SOCKET environment variable
before running the program:

In terminal 1:

        ocamldebug myprog
        set loadingmode manual
        run
           (it prints a socket path, e.g. /tmp/camldebug9960)

In terminal 2:
        CAML_DEBUG_SOCKET=/tmp/camldebug9960 myprog

Hope this helps,

- Xavier Leroy