* [Caml-list] Subclasses and pattern matching
@ 2003-09-19 14:21 katre
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: katre @ 2003-09-19 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello again!

I'm working on a project where I want to create a list of data, which is
all similar but not identical.  In other languages with which I am
familiar, I would do this with a base class and a few subclasses, as
such:

class virtual abstractClass =
    object

    method virtual to_string : unit -> string
end

class subclass1 =
    object
    inherit abstractClass

    method thing () = "subclass1 thing"
    method to_string () = "subclass 1"
end

class subclass2 =
    object
    inherit abstractClass

    method thing2 () = "subclass2 thing"
    method to_string () = "subclass 2"
end

And I would create the list as

let l = [ (new subclass1 :> abstractClass); (new subclass :> abstractClass); (new subclass1 :> abstractClass); (new subclass2 :> abstractClass) ];

This seems to work fine.

However, I want to use pattern matching to go over this list.  I'm not
sure how this would work in ocaml.  My ideal function would look
something like this:

let rec show_list l =
    match l with
        [] -> ()
        | (h ofclass subclass1)::t -> print_string (h#thing()); show_list t
        | (h ofclass subclass2)::t -> print_string (h#thing2()); show_list t
        | (h ofclass abstractClass)::t -> print_string ("Unknown object " ^ (h#to_string())); show_list t

Is this possible?  What would the syntax be?

katre