* [Caml-list] ocaml 3.07 patch
@ 2003-10-03  9:12 Xavier Leroy
From: Xavier Leroy @ 2003-10-03  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

discovered in release 3.07 of OCaml: Michel Mauny has been working
hard on correcting the issues, and I just made available a patch
against the 3.07 sources:

      http://caml.inria.fr/distrib/ocaml-3.07/ocaml-3.07-patch1.diffs

It would be great if the users who where affected by the problem could
give it a try and let us (caml@inria.fr) know how it goes.
(Users who track the CVS repository can use it instead.)

If the issues are fixed, I'll update the binary distributions to
incorporate the patch.  Making binary distributions takes a
surprisingly long time, and is boring, so I'd rather not do that too
often...

Thanks for your help,

- Xavier Leroy

* Re: [Caml-list] ocaml 3.07 patch
@ 2003-10-03  9:48 ` Sven Luther
From: Sven Luther @ 2003-10-03  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Leroy; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:12:19AM +0200, Xavier Leroy wrote:
> discovered in release 3.07 of OCaml: Michel Mauny has been working
> hard on correcting the issues, and I just made available a patch
> against the 3.07 sources:
>
>       http://caml.inria.fr/distrib/ocaml-3.07/ocaml-3.07-patch1.diffs
>
> It would be great if the users who where affected by the problem could
> give it a try and let us (caml@inria.fr) know how it goes.
> (Users who track the CVS repository can use it instead.)

So i suppose this is the same as the one in CVS. I have had reports from
Maxence that this solves the cameleon build problem, but you may already
know that, and indeed it fixed also the problem showing up in planets.

> If the issues are fixed, I'll update the binary distributions to
> incorporate the patch.  Making binary distributions takes a

So you will just do a new version of 3.07 ? What about bumbing the
version number to 3.07.1 or something such ?

> surprisingly long time, and is boring, so I'd rather not do that too
> often...

Would this be the right oportunity to open a bugfix branch in the CVS ?
This would make it easier for ocaml distributors to track the important
fixes out of the CVS, and make sure the fixed versions of ocaml floating
around are in a somewhat consistent state, and that some important fix
may or may not be applied to some of them.

I understand that you are afraid that this will cause you more work,
because you have to test both version, but i think that this may not be
that problematic as you fear, since the number of fixes to this branch
will usually be not that numerous, and you can also rely on the
distributors to do some of the testing for you.

This would make live easier for all ocaml user, and is a feature that is
needed for ocaml to be more professionally perceived.

Friendly,

Sven Luther