* [Caml-list] different arch.
@ 2003-10-20 16:55 Vladimir Skokov
From: Vladimir Skokov @ 2003-10-20 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I have the following problem:
there is  ocaml compiler on the first machine (Linux, i386)
there is no ocaml compiler and there is no way to install it on the second
machine (Irix, Silicon Graphics)
How can I run my ocaml program on the second machine?
Of course, gcc is installed on both!

* Re: [Caml-list] different arch.
@ 2003-10-21  1:22 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2003-10-21  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jove; +Cc: caml-list

From: Vladimir Skokov <jove@newmail.ru>

> I have the following problem:
> there is  ocaml compiler on the first machine (Linux, i386)
> there is no ocaml compiler and there is no way to install it on the second
> machine (Irix, Silicon Graphics)
> How can I run my ocaml program on the second machine?
> Of course, gcc is installed on both!

What do you mean by "no way to install it"?
Certainly ocaml can be installed on Irix, both bytecode and native
code working.
And you can of course install under your home directory.

Is it just that you have only limited space allowed?
For bytecode alone, a few megabytes should be sufficient.
If your program does not use any native libraries (unix, str,
caml/labltk, threads), another option is to compile it to bytecode
under linux, and only build the ocamlrun executable under Irix, since
it is only about 200k. The you can run your program with
   ocamlrun myprog
on the Irix machine.
You don't even need to extract the full distribution for that:
configure, config/*, byterun/* should suffice.

Jacques Garrigue

* Re: [Caml-list] different arch.
@ 2003-10-21  4:19   ` Vladimir Skokov
From: Vladimir Skokov @ 2003-10-21  4:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Thanks. I could install ocaml  after some manual editing Makefiles(even
naitive-code compilers ocamlopt.opt). Ocaml is really great!