* [Caml-list] segfaults
@ 2003-11-08  9:11 Anastasia Gornostaeva
From: Anastasia Gornostaeva @ 2003-11-08  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello.

My program often crashes. Why? I use Ocaml 3.06 and 3.07CVS under FreeBSD 4.9.
In my program I use many packets such as ocaml-expat, cryptokid, ocaml-mysql,
pcre-ocaml, ocurl, ocamlnet and so on.
My programs works several hours and goes to core. All cores are different.
It seems main problem is with GC.
How to be?

ermine

* Re: [Caml-list] segfaults
@ 2003-11-08  9:58 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2003-11-08  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anastasia Gornostaeva; +Cc: caml-list

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:11:11PM +0300, Anastasia Gornostaeva wrote:
> Hello.
>
> My program often crashes. Why? I use Ocaml 3.06 and 3.07CVS under FreeBSD 4.9.
> In my program I use many packets such as ocaml-expat, cryptokid, ocaml-mysql,
> pcre-ocaml, ocurl, ocamlnet and so on.
> My programs works several hours and goes to core. All cores are different.
> It seems main problem is with GC.
> How to be?

Well, quite easily. I was getting segfaults in one program I wrote
because in the C part I'd accidentally used 'return' instead of the
'CAMLreturn' macro.

The way to diagnose these sorts of problems is to add regular calls to
`Gc.full_major ()' into your program. If the program crashes while
making these calls, then you can be fairly sure it's a GC-related
memory allocation problem. Look at the stack trace - it should give
you some clues.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier