* [Caml-list] Native Win32 Ocaml with Visual C++ toolkit
@ 2004-04-23 10:43 Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2004-04-23 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

Hello list,

I'd like to give a try to the native Win32 port for OCaml.

1. Is the free (as in free beer) Visual C++ 2003 toolkit enough for
   ocamlopt ?

2. I'm stuck at step 0: installing MASM. Could anyone give me an exact URL
   where I could find it ?

Cheers,

Alain

* Re: [Caml-list] Native Win32 Ocaml with Visual C++ toolkit
@ 2004-04-23 11:09 ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2004-04-23 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Frisch, Caml list

> Hello list,
>
> I'd like to give a try to the native Win32 port for OCaml.
>
> 1. Is the free (as in free beer) Visual C++ 2003 toolkit enough for
>    ocamlopt ?

I just checked, it's not since masm.exe is not part of it :'(

> 2. I'm stuck at step 0: installing MASM. Could anyone give me an exact URL
>    where I could find it ?

It's part of the VC++6 Processor Pack :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/ppack/download.aspx

Regards,
Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Native Win32 Ocaml with Visual C++ toolkit
@ 2004-04-23 14:46   ` Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2004-04-23 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Cannasse; +Cc: Caml list

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> It's part of the VC++6 Processor Pack :
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/ppack/download.aspx

Which requires to have Visual Studio installed...

Someone sent me the ml.exe binary (thanks !). Still, ocamlopt doesn't
work:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>ocamlopt -o bla bla.ml
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'advapi32.lib'
Error during linking

@ 2004-04-23 14:51     ` Nicolas Cannasse
From: Nicolas Cannasse @ 2004-04-23 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Frisch; +Cc: Caml list

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>
> > It's part of the VC++6 Processor Pack :
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/ppack/download.aspx
>
> Which requires to have Visual Studio installed...
>
> Someone sent me the ml.exe binary (thanks !). Still, ocamlopt doesn't
> work:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users>ocamlopt -o bla bla.ml
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'advapi32.lib'
> Error during linking

You need to setup the LIB environment variable.
Is advapi32.lib is in the /lib path of VC++2003 Toolkit ?

Regards,
Nicolas Cannasse

* Re: [Caml-list] Native Win32 Ocaml with Visual C++ toolkit
@ 2004-04-26  1:57     ` Jacques GARRIGUE
From: Jacques GARRIGUE @ 2004-04-26  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain.Frisch; +Cc: warplayer, caml-list

From: Alain.Frisch@ens.fr
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>
> > It's part of the VC++6 Processor Pack :
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/ppack/download.aspx
>
> Which requires to have Visual Studio installed...

Actually, you can extract it without visual studio installed:
  http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/pctools.html

I really wonder why microsoft makes access to masm that hard...

  Jacques Garrigue

* [Caml-list] Native Win32 Ocaml with Visual C++ toolkit
@ 2004-04-29 14:36 Alain.Frisch
From: Alain.Frisch @ 2004-04-29 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml list

Hello caml-list,

This is a report on my attempt to make ocamlopt work with the C compiler
from the (free of charge) Visual C++ toolkit.

The toolkit can be downloaded from:

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

It contains the C compiler and the MS linker.

Then you need to find the Microsoft Assembler:
despite all the information found on the page

[2] http://users.easystreet.com/jkirwan/pctools.html

I couldn't find a way to fetch the ML.EXE and ML.ERR files.
First, the URl for the Visual C++ processor pack (which
contains MASM) download page is now:

[3] http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/downloads/tools/ppack/download.aspx

According to [2], it would be enough to run the install program,
and find the ML.EXE/ML.ERR files somewhere on the disk while the
program complains that VC++ is not installed (when you click Ok,
the program would erase the files). Unfortunately, I couln't find
the temporary files on my disk. Maybe the latest versions are less
stupid.

At that point, the ML.EXE/ML.ERR files arrived magically on the hard
drive, probably because of a worm, or some security hole in OE.

Two .LIB were still missing: advapi32.lib and uuid.lib. I could
find them in the Microsoft Core SDK. To download this SDK, you can follow
the link "Microsoft Windows Platform SDK" from [1]. The download is
around 200 Mb and the SDK takes 500 Mb after installation. You need
only the two tiny files advapi32.lib and uuid.lib.

So, finally, except the Visual C++ toolkit itself, you only need 4 files:
ml.exe, ml.err, advapi32.lib and uuid.lib. And you can compile your
favorite hello.ml with ocamlopt. I still haven't found an official way to
get ml.exe and ml.err.

-- Alain