* [Caml-list] [ANN] ocamljitrun-1.1
@ 2004-04-26 14:50 Basile Starynkevitch local
From: Basile Starynkevitch local @ 2004-04-26 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear All,

You can find the version 1.1 of my Ocamljit just-in-time bytecode to
machine language translator & interpreter on
http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/ocamljitrun.tar.gz

See also my homepage on http://cristal.inria.fr/~starynke/ for remarks

The following bugs fixes have been made:

   callbacks run correctly

   the toplevel run correctly

(both runs correctly on small tests - I did not test yet significant
stuff for C callbacks and toplevel)

all simple tests (those in ocaml/tests) and the ocamlc compiler itself
already passed on the initial release, of course they pass again.

You need the latest CVS of the Ocaml system - since I had to correct
some callback code (in byterun/callback.c) and to add a routine
caml_prepare_bytecode in the runtime (also called by the toplevel)

If some people test the latest CVS of Ocaml, I would be delighted if
they took some time to test this ocamljitrun and report bugs to me.

Ocamljitrun may sometimes run slower than the bytecode interpreter:

   When running a very short time (eg running ocamlc on a small source
   file), because of the startup time needed for bytecode ->
   machinecode translation

   Callbacks (from C to ocaml) are more expensive, since every
   callback requires translation of a short bytecode sequence.

Thanks, and hoping for some feedback.

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH -- basile dot starynkevitch at inria dot fr
Project cristal.inria.fr - phone +33 1 3963 5197 - mobile 6 8501 2359

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-04-26 14:50 UTC | newest]