* [Caml-list] equality testing in 3.08
@ 2004-08-02  1:54 Matt Harren
From: Matt Harren @ 2004-08-02  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

I recently upgraded to OCaml 3.08, and ran into problems with the
changed implementation of structural equality.  To support NaN, the (=)
operator no longer checks for physical equality or its operands.  This
causes two problems:
  1) Our application runs 9% slower because comparison isn't as
efficient.  When x == y, checking "x = y" takes time proportional to the
size of the structure, instead of constant time.
  2) We've been cheating and using (=) on structures that may be cyclic.
This works fine on earlier versions of ocaml, because the structures
contain a unique identifier as their first field.  But now that
structural equality checks no longer begin with a physical equality
check, we can get an infinite loop.

To work around this, I've been defining
   let (=) x1 x2 : bool =
     (compare x1 x2) = 0
at the start of each file, since the "compare" function still starts
with a physical equality check.  Is there a better way to override a
definition in the Pervasives module?

Also, has there been any discussion of restoring the old meaning of (=)?
I know it breaks NaN, but the performance difference might make this
worthwhile, even if you have no sympathy for those of us who use = on
cyclic structures. :)

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: [Caml-list] equality testing in 3.08
@ 2004-08-02  9:50 ` Christophe TROESTLER
From: Christophe TROESTLER @ 2004-08-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: matth; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, "Matt Harren" <matth@cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>   1) Our application runs 9% slower because comparison isn't as
> efficient.  When x == y, checking "x = y" takes time proportional to
> the size of the structure, instead of constant time.

I do not know what you are comparing but maybe a custom comparison
function would make things even faster?  As an example,

          min : 'a -> 'a -> 'a
and
          let min' x y = if (x:int) < y then x else y

have (very) different speed characteristics!

>   2) We've been cheating and using (=) on structures that may be cyclic.

Same: why don't you define the meaningful equality?  Sure, you do not
have the convenience of the name "=" but you can use "===", "=^=",
"=~=",...  This probably would also make your software easier to
understand (the "strange" comparison on cyclic structures would be
made explicit).

Regards,
ChriS